Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mbarragan
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Web return Credential Invalid Error on Anonymous Access of API URL.

I've a report that has a dataset composed from differents sources. Five of theses sources are an API that returns a different .CSVs depending on specifics parameters in the URL. When I'm working on PowerBI desktop, the data is loaded successfully, but, when I publish the report and I want to update the data from PowerBI web, a "credential error" happens for the API source.

2016-11-30_15h54_34.png

2016-11-30_15h58_28.png

I noted that this error happens when there are more than one API source...

What is the problem?

Sincerely,

Marcos.

6 REPLIES 6
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mbarragan,

Queries where data access happens inside a function and where the data source is dependent on parameters to the function can't currently be refreshed. You can vote the idea here. And here is a similar thread for your reference.Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

I think I've not explained enough. What I wanted to mean was that I have five sources of a only one API, but the final URL of each source is unique, e.g.:

Source1 : www.123ExampleApi.com/poweBI?url=source1
Source2 : www.123ExampleApi.com/poweBI?url=source2
Source3 : www.123ExampleApi.com/poweBI?url=source3
Source4 : www.123ExampleApi.com/poweBI?url=source4
Source5 : www.123ExampleApi.com/poweBI?url=source5

This is what I wanted to mean with "Five of theses sources are an API that returns a different .CSVs depending on specifics parameters in the URL.". My queries don't access to data inside a function, I've only specified new data sources in the query editor.

Thanks and best regards,

Marcos.

Hi @mbarragan,

This is what I wanted to mean with "Five of theses sources are an API that returns a different .CSVs depending on specifics parameters in the URL.". My queries don't access to data inside a function, I've only specified new data sources in the query editor.

Indeed, I knew exactly what you are trying to do.Smiley Happy As you are requesting your server with parameters to get data, there should be a function in your server to accept the parameter, then returns different .CSVs depending on the specific parameter, right? Because Power BI is doing static analysis of the query to discover the data source, and the static analysis can't yet handle this scenario currently.

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

The different sources from Google Storage since the schedule refresh work fine, we've tried to liken the API URLs to the Google Storage URLs:

GoogleStorage (works fine):

https://storage.googleapis.com/bucket1/tmp/0009518e.csv
https://storage.googleapis.com/bucket1/tmp/8197581r.csv

API - without url parameters (Doesn't work):

https://us-central1-project1.cloudfunctions.net/0009518e
https://us-central1-project1.cloudfunctions.net/8197581r

Could you explain why the schedule refresh works fine for the first one way, but for the second one way the credentials error is appeared? Is it due to the second one returns a url redirection to a .csv and the first one it's just a .csv?

Thanks and best regards,

Marcos.

I have the same problem with an OData source.

First odata source loads fine. Next 3 cannot be updated and gives the error "Failed to update data source credentials.".

Any ideas?

Hi @Krizz83,

It may be the same issue as I described above. Please vote the idea here.Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors