Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lanny9999
Employee
Employee

Power BI Version Compatibility

The scenario is if a new Power BI Desktop version is available, does MS guarantee that it will work with the latest version of Power BI Service?

In addition, are there any concerns if we are updating Power BI Gateway monthly that if a user upgrades to the latest version of Power BI Desktop and Service and publishes a report (or dataset) would they be backwards compatible with the existing Power BI Gateway while we wait for monthly patching to catch up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CerebusBI
Resolver I
Resolver I

In my experience, Microsoft tries very successfully for backwards compatibility.

But of course it is not 100% impossible that backward compatibility will be broken.

The following cases have already happened:

• Microsoft inadvertently violates backward compatibility (e.g. because an M-function suddenly got another mandatory parameter). Such oversights happened (rarely) especially in the initial phase of Power BI
  • Microsoft fixes a bug that is meanwhile exploited by existing solutions. Since you don't always know if certain solution tips are based on such bugs, it can't be ruled out that your BI solution contains such a bug exploitation.
  • Microsoft cancels a certain feature. Usually it is then replaced by an alternative and you have enough time to make appropriate adjustments - if you notice the discontinuation.
  • Microsoft withdraws a new feature (which is still in the preview) because it causes problems.

But such disruptions of the backwards compatibility are very rare.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
CerebusBI
Resolver I
Resolver I

In my experience, Microsoft tries very successfully for backwards compatibility.

But of course it is not 100% impossible that backward compatibility will be broken.

The following cases have already happened:

• Microsoft inadvertently violates backward compatibility (e.g. because an M-function suddenly got another mandatory parameter). Such oversights happened (rarely) especially in the initial phase of Power BI
  • Microsoft fixes a bug that is meanwhile exploited by existing solutions. Since you don't always know if certain solution tips are based on such bugs, it can't be ruled out that your BI solution contains such a bug exploitation.
  • Microsoft cancels a certain feature. Usually it is then replaced by an alternative and you have enough time to make appropriate adjustments - if you notice the discontinuation.
  • Microsoft withdraws a new feature (which is still in the preview) because it causes problems.

But such disruptions of the backwards compatibility are very rare.

Speaking about compatibility, if lets say we have a "big jump" from PBIX created two years back to the latest today. My case is I have PBIX created using August 2020, and now with February 2022, opened and saved and publish to PBI Service. 

Will that be an issue ? During open the report, in some ocassion, in some visual, Power BI Desktop will notify me to convert to new theme format, then I just click "Yes". But I can't remember which and when this notification will be triggered but I believed not all. When it is not triggerred, does it mean it does not converted to a new format ? and will that be a problem ?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors