Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Users with right permissions sometimes get the "Request Access" prompt

Our users access reports in Power BI Service through the embedded link. These reports have live connections to SSAS Tabular models. Users with right permissions, including admins sometimes get the "Request Access" prompt, even though they have access. Clicking on the "Request Access" takes you to the report anywas, but why are we still getting the prompt? I noticed it happens mostly after a model refresh.
Can anyone please help with why this is happening? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I believe that is standard behavior and largely depends on your IT systems and the policies for session cookie expiry. Some are aggressive and set it to 30 minutes, othes are lenient and set it to 24hrs etc. Not sure if model changes would result in terminated sessions, but it might happen.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
aggregator3000
Advocate II
Advocate II

I suspect this could relate to Workspace permissions of the sharer / re-sharer.. chasing down root cause at the moment as we are seeing this occur for codevelopers in another workspace

Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

@lbendlinis totally correct here and you should get the cookie expiry time checked. As per your query, I'm assuming your users are already part of workspace with proper roles/permissions defined.

However, if everything seems correct from IT end, you can try the below:

1. Publish these reports in another workspace and try providing access

2. Revoke the permission and set it again

You can also raise a support ticket if after everything, the prompt still appears. Link

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Anand24. The users already have all the required permissions to view the reports. They occassionally are asked to request access again even though they already have the permissions. It does not ask to sign in again, but just to request access as i would do when the user has not been given permission to view the report. I will check with IT and try out your suggestions on few reports on another workspace. 

Regards.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I believe that is standard behavior and largely depends on your IT systems and the policies for session cookie expiry. Some are aggressive and set it to 30 minutes, othes are lenient and set it to 24hrs etc. Not sure if model changes would result in terminated sessions, but it might happen.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @lbendlin. Just for clarification, I understand the cookie policy determine the period a user remains signed in, the cookie policy also has an effect on user's permission to view a report as after it expires, it seem to forget the user has access to view the report and ask the user to request access to the report?

Regards.

That's pretty much the same thing.  You don't know if a user is authorized ( has access ) until after they have authenticated (logged in)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thank you. I will check the cookie expiry policy with IT.

Hi @Anonymous,

Did lbendlin 's suggestion help with your scenario? If this is a case, you can consider 'accept' his suggestion to help other users that faced a similar issue.

If not, please provide more detailed information so that we can clarify these and test to troubleshooting on it.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors