Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aishwarya020793
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Usage Metrics Data set access online

Hi All,

So here is a requirement where in I require data set that is used by the Power BI usage metrics feature to find out the number of visits of users for various dashboards. I need to access this data set and export it to cloud blob storage service such as AWS S3 or Azure blob storage. How to achieve this? Please help (urgent). 

Thanks in advance

Regards

Aishwarya

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @aishwarya020793

I wanted to suggest to you about exporting the dataset into a secondary system. I am currently working on a solution in my environment to run a PowerShell script to export the contents of the Audit log and import these resulst into a database. I think you could do the same approach with your Azure blob or AWS S3. 

The other option is calling the Azure management api and push the data up this way instead. I haven't got this far with the calling the REST API to pull the Audit data but, it is on my radar.

I would be curious if you have done anything since your original post.

Hope this might help!

@aishwarya020793 You can find audit log information in O365. See here for access methods. You will most likely have to create some sort of extraction process, but I don't know of a hard limitiation that prevents you from doing this.

See here

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer 
Actually I am new to this so can you please suggest some mechanism with which I can export the data set to aws? 

Thanks, 

Aishwarya

Hi All,

I have a requirement where in I have to export data set from power bi service online to aws S3.. Can anybody please suggest a mechanism for that? And the insertion needs to be automatic not manual.. Please help.

Thanks in advance

Aishwarya

@aishwarya020793 Is this the same question you already posted here?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @aishwarya020793,

Currently we can only export data from the report view to CSV and excel file directly. For your requirement, you can create a feature request here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

There might be a way to do this, but it will involve quite a few steps.

• You could create a Usage report for each App Workspace that you want to monitor.
    • You can do this by creating the Usage Metrics report and then clicking on File and then Save As.
    • So there will be one dataset per App Workspace
  • Then ensure that you have got the Power BI Publisher for Excel installed.
  • Then connect to each dataset that you created above in your single Excel Workbook.
    • You could then consolidate all the datasets into one using Power Query and PowerPivot.
  • Finally you could then use a product like Power Update which will enable you to then refresh the workbook for you manually.

After which you can then take this workbook and consume it where ever you want to. Possibly even back into Power BI?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @aishwarya020793,

After research, you can use the Usage Metrics in Power Bi service. This feature gives you one-click access to key usage metrics for your dashboards and reports, allowing you to pinpoint how your end users are interacting with your content. Usage metrics are provided on dashboards or reports in the selected workspace. To get access to usage metrics data for a particular dashboard or report, you must:

• Have edit access to that dashboard or report
• Have a Pro license

When you sign in with pro license, please select one dashboard and click "Usage Metrics", please see the following screenshot. You will get the usage metrics for that dashboard or report over the last 90 days. Usage metrics are presented as a pre-built report, so you can pin any of the report visuals to a dashboard, to monitor them more easily or share usage with others. To get even more out of usage metrics, you can use the “save as” feature to create a copy of the pre-built usage metrics. 

Please review the following articles, which describe Usage Metric clearly.

Measure and magnify your impact with dashboard and report Usage Metrics for content creators
Measure and Magnify Your Impact with Usage Metrics for Dashboard and Report Authors

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks @v-huizhn-msft But I need to have access to the data set that is used for creating charts of usage metrics report. This data has to be exported autometically to S3. So can you please provide a mechanism for accesing the data set, I am already familiar with Usage metrics feature.

Regards

Aishwarya

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors