Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LPA

Power BI Updates break on-premises Gateway

Hello everyone,

our team is using the on-premises Power BI gateway to access an mssql database and continuously update the datasets for our reports in the webapp. However, the scheduled dataset-refresh has been interrupted multiple times now already due to "no gateway being available". While we could fix this issue by updating the gateway on our server, we noticed that these outages are in sync with the Power BI releases. It seems that everytime there is an update for Power BI the then-most-recent version of the gateway becomes incompatible with the newest version of Power BI.

Is there a way to automatically update the gateway version or another way to circumvent this in the future? We are interested in whether some of you have experienced this as well and can maybe confirm the connection to the releases.

Thanks for your help!

LPA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @LPA ,

I do not believe that there is an automatic gateway update process yet.  However, please vote for this idea and perhaps comment on the need?

Microsoft Idea  · Gateway Update Notification and Auto update for Enterprise Gateway (powerbi.com)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @LPA ,

I do not believe that there is an automatic gateway update process yet.  However, please vote for this idea and perhaps comment on the need?

Microsoft Idea  · Gateway Update Notification and Auto update for Enterprise Gateway (powerbi.com)

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hey @collinq, thanks for answering so quickly and providing clarity that this feature does not exist yet. By chance, have you heard of a workaround for this? If not im just going to invest some time for research 🙂

Thanks and have a nice weekend

LPA

HI @LPA ,

There is no workaround I know about yet, other than the manual method 🙂.  If you find something, please update this thread!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors