Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI System Administrator

Hi everyone

I have a question.

I am currently developing using a Power BI Pro account

I need to upload the Dashbaord to the cloud and share it with the client

I am using the account of microsoft that the comnpany give to me ( I am and external COnsultant)

My question is:

Should be an Administrator account to do that? 

I find quite weird that I have to sue my personnala count to publish the dashbaord and share with the organization. any idea?
Another question:
My Data set is so big so the application weight is higher than 1 GB.
I need a Power BI Premium account to publish and reload and share the Dashboard or I can upload the Dashboard with few information and the Reload in the cloud and take the full app with a data set that weights more than 1 GB without usinng Power BI Premium licence?
(I know there is another option --> Direct Query but I cant use it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous For #3, looks like you would get errors in the Service as well -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi As another idea you could look to improve the model size, make sure you only have the necessary columns, ensure that the auto date/time in the Options ->Current File->Data Load -> Time Intelligence section is turned off... this will create a date dimension behind the scenes for every date column in every table. It makes reports for small datasets easy to work with but will kill large models and massively increases the model size.

DAX Studio is a great tool to interegate the model, there are a bunch of blogs out there that show how to get table sizes, etc.

If the client does have premium, then I believe you would just need to try publishing to the premium workspace as that should allow up to 3GB (I forget if the cap is still on) PBIX files published.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Anonymous First, you need to create a workspace that is shared between you and someone from your client. That way, whatever you publish should go to that workspace so you and others have access to the report you built. Second, you could try to set a parameter to minimize the size of the file for upload, then change the parameter in the Service, but you will likely hit the same threshold of 1GB per dataset on a Pro license.

The other alternative is to stick the model in Analysis Services or Azure Analysis Services if that is available to you. Depending on their needs, it could be cheaper than going with a Premium license.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer  thanks for the response.

1- Yes I know I have to create a workspace to share the Dashbaord

2- First time I hear about create a parametre (I will check it)

3-  if I udnerstood correctly....If I have Pro Licence & my Client too and I upload the dashbaord with small dataset and I refresh the app will be higher than 1GB so... I will still have the problem of 1GB limitation I am right?

4- I will check about Azure... but We are workign with AWS so... I dont know if both are compataible.

5- The company that I am currently working for is one of the highest insurance companies in the wrold so... maybe they have the Premium Licence...

Many thanks

@Anonymous For #3, looks like you would get errors in the Service as well -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi As another idea you could look to improve the model size, make sure you only have the necessary columns, ensure that the auto date/time in the Options ->Current File->Data Load -> Time Intelligence section is turned off... this will create a date dimension behind the scenes for every date column in every table. It makes reports for small datasets easy to work with but will kill large models and massively increases the model size.

DAX Studio is a great tool to interegate the model, there are a bunch of blogs out there that show how to get table sizes, etc.

If the client does have premium, then I believe you would just need to try publishing to the premium workspace as that should allow up to 3GB (I forget if the cap is still on) PBIX files published.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors