Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Sizing and mapping to Tableau

Hi,
Not sure where is the right place to ask this question.
My customer give me the spec they are using with Tableau, including number of cores, RAM, usage, viewers, and designers, and want to know how to map to Pro and Premium. I know we can calculate on the calculator but don't know how to compare the RAM and Core. for example, they have 256GB with 40% usage while in P3 it's 100GB. they have 20 cores but does that mean we need to recommend a P3 for 32 cores? How do we map it? Looking for practices or advice.
Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous You don't have to try to make an apples to apples compare and build out the same infrastructure. You could purchase multiple P1 licenses, especially if they are only running at 40%. A good starting point might be to recommend 2 P1 licenses and manage the capacity separately. The largest dependency in my mind would be how large the models are, if they are extremely large and you aren't going to stand up an Analysis Services instance (might also recommend this route) then a couple P1's should fit the bill. They can always scale up to another one or increase the size to a P2 on these if needed. I would take the approach of starting smaller and scaling rather than over purchasing because you have to.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@Anonymous You don't have to try to make an apples to apples compare and build out the same infrastructure. You could purchase multiple P1 licenses, especially if they are only running at 40%. A good starting point might be to recommend 2 P1 licenses and manage the capacity separately. The largest dependency in my mind would be how large the models are, if they are extremely large and you aren't going to stand up an Analysis Services instance (might also recommend this route) then a couple P1's should fit the bill. They can always scale up to another one or increase the size to a P2 on these if needed. I would take the approach of starting smaller and scaling rather than over purchasing because you have to.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors