Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

-Blair-
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Sharing and Licencing

With a premium capactiy I can share a report in a workspace via an app or external application where the user viewing the report has a Power BI Free licence assigned. This works sucessfully.

Can someone help me understand how the premium per user licencing works.

With the Premium per user the workspace is in a premium capactiy, and the speed is dictated by the number of users assigned premium per user licences. When sharing reports via the app or an external application can the user viewing the report view with a Power BI Free licence, or do they require a pro licence?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @-Blair- 

No, a Premium Per User licence (PPU) gives the individual user many of the benefits of Premium Capacity (Faster speed, Paginated Reports etc.) But does not give Free user access.

A PPU licence can create a Workspace and make it a PPU Workspace, Datasets in this workspace get the benefits of the PPU licence, but it can only be shared with others who have a PPU licence. Pro users and Free users cannot access a PPU workspace or App built from that workspace. 

see :What Is Premium Per User? | Power BI Licences | Burningsuit

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

When you ask "Share wi premium capacity", you meen Power Bi premium licence type EM or P ?

Or both are OK to share to free users using a capacity workspace ?

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @-Blair- 

No, a Premium Per User licence (PPU) gives the individual user many of the benefits of Premium Capacity (Faster speed, Paginated Reports etc.) But does not give Free user access.

A PPU licence can create a Workspace and make it a PPU Workspace, Datasets in this workspace get the benefits of the PPU licence, but it can only be shared with others who have a PPU licence. Pro users and Free users cannot access a PPU workspace or App built from that workspace. 

see :What Is Premium Per User? | Power BI Licences | Burningsuit

Hope this helps

Stuart

That is interesting.

So if a workspace is created under a PPU account for the extra size requirements or for paginated reports then Pro users cannot connect to any reports in the workspace?

I knew it was too good to be true when they said PPU gives the benifits of premium, because to me one of the big benifits is viewers can use a free licence so when you have a huge viewer base but not many concurent users it works well.

Hi, @-Blair- 

You can reference it:

Workspace Type Viewers with basic account Viewers with Pro license Viewers with PPU license
Pro Workspace No Yes Yes
Premium Per User Workspace No No Yes
Premium Per Capacity Workspace Yes Yes Yes

If you have PPU licence, you can just create a shared capacity, It is not necessary to create a ppu workspace, so pro licence use can visit(ppu license contains all the featuress of pro). But ppu workspace can only be used by ppu license users. As for free users, they can only view content in premium capacity.

They don't have any conflict.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors