Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VijayPowerBI

Power BI: Sharing Access to Power BI reports without giving access to the Cube

Hi,

I expect this scenario would have been encountered by others, but I couldn't find the proper solution to apply.  My scenario is, User- A has built a Power BI Report using SSAS Tabular Live Connection & published to the Power BI service with the DS connection .  And User: A wants to share only the report to the User:B,  without providing or adding the User:B AD username into the cube.

Intention: User:B should be able to see the report only through the service & should not be allowed to connect to the cube using Power BI Desktop or by excel, in order to avoid creating any kind of adhoc analysis or any report from the backend.

Thanks

Vijay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @VijayPowerBI,

You can try to use UPN function to fully replace 'User B' to 'User A' to use owner's 'effective username' to access datasource.

User Principal Name (UPN) Mapping in Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
VijayPowerBI

Hi Guys,

Need a quick & easy help on this.  I have a superuser who has created a report using live connection of SSAS tabular cube. He has published the report to the web service( Enterprise gateway connected using admin & all other accesses are ok). However the super user wants to share the report to User :B.  But SuperUser wants the user-b seeing only the report that was shared and not more that that (means: the user -B shouldn't be connecting to the cube using excel or power bi desktop by any means).

So we want to know, how the User-B can be given access to the report without adding him to the CUBE using roles. We know we can restrict the data but we dont want the user-b to connect to the cube & create any adhoc analysis for the allowed data as well.

Thanks

Vijay

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @VijayPowerBI,

You can try to use UPN function to fully replace 'User B' to 'User A' to use owner's 'effective username' to access datasource.

User Principal Name (UPN) Mapping in Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors