Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Service report to new dataset in workspace

I have a report A in workspace B that is connected to dataset C. Dataset C is an organizational content pack placed in another workspace. This is working fine in Power BI service, but I would like to show this report in my application using Power BI Embedded. Seemingly, the Power BI API has issues with content packs as the API does not show dataset C as part of workspace B, thus the report is not showing properly in my application. I can click on the report name, but the report is just blank in my application, and I think it is because it cannot find the dataset tied to the report. 

I have figured out a few possible solutions and I need help with what would work best:

- I tried to publish dataset C directly to workspace B, but I need to tie report A to the new dataset C. Is this possible through API? 

- Is there a workaround where the Power BI API does not need to "see" the dataset tied to the report?

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Maybe you can take a look at following link about duplicate workspace if it suitable for your requirement:

Duplicating workspaces by using Power BI cmdlets 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

#1, I haven't found any API support this, you can try to use the new share feature to share dataset across workspaces.

Intro to datasets across workspaces (Preview) 

#2, I 'm not so clear for your description, can you please explain this more clear? AFAIK, power bi rest API use correspond ID to find out specific contents, is not required to view detail records.

In addition, If these datasets have the same data structure. I'd like to suggest you parameterize your connection strings to achieve dynamic changes on datasource based on query parameters.

Using the Power BI Service Parameters to change connection strings (To possibly change between Dev 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-shex-msft Thanks for the suggestions. 

#1 would require me to create the report from scratch again, which is undesirable. 

#2 The report does not appear in my embedded application since the API cannot find a dataset in the workspace. Since it is a content pack, the dataset from the API's point of view does not exist in the workspace. 

Hi @Anonymous,

Maybe you can take a look at following link about duplicate workspace if it suitable for your requirement:

Duplicating workspaces by using Power BI cmdlets 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors