Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

erikmtonon
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Service not refreshing data - Unexpected error occurred 'xlscaop_unary.cpp'

Hello community!

I've been struggling for a week now to find the root cause of this issue.

Basically from one day to the other our service is not working for this specific report and keep throwing the following error:

"Processing error: An unexpected error occurred (file 'xlscaop_unary.cpp', line 1078, function 'XLScalarCast::MakeScaLogOp'). The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed."

We've raised a ticket to Ms but nothing so far.

I am breaking down the report and seems like the model is corrupted or the relationship is not working properly.

We have three different data sources - Pbi data flow, direct sql connection and sharepoint.

Have anyone seen this error message before? I tried google it but nothing related to pbi.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
erikmtonon
Frequent Visitor

For future reference to the others, I found the issue.

After an extensive investigation I found that one customized column with tons of calculations and measures was triggering this bug.

That column was being used as legend at the Map visualization and I think that's how the bug started.

Removing it solved my issue, however, I need now to figure out how to add that missing information again.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
erikmtonon
Frequent Visitor

For future reference to the others, I found the issue.

After an extensive investigation I found that one customized column with tons of calculations and measures was triggering this bug.

That column was being used as legend at the Map visualization and I think that's how the bug started.

Removing it solved my issue, however, I need now to figure out how to add that missing information again.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @erikmtonon 

have you made sure you are using the latest version of Power BI Desktop?

Also does this only happen on this PBIX file or all other files?

If this file what happens if you had to rebuild the file?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi !

Yes, I have the latest version of PBI installed and I made sure I have the latest version of Gateway too.

I tested some other reports and they work fine, the problem is just with one report.

Actually rebuilding this report is not on my plans right now because it is really complex... but during my tests I removed a few queries and left some others but I got inconclusive answers.

If I remove query A, then it works fine but if I recreate it, at some point the refresh stops working for no reason...I didn't figure out what is breaking the query. That's why I feel that the model got corrupted.

Hi @erikmtonon 

It could well be that query, but it does not make sense it would be causing the issue

If it still happens I would log a support ticket?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

Power BI Blog

Thanks GilbertQ, 
We already raised a ticket to Microsoft but for now they are asking only basic stuff... credentials, publish again... etc.

But I still have this issue.

Hi @erikmtonon 

I know it takes some time, but often you have to go through the intial steps.

Maybe the Feb release of PBI desktop will be a quicker resolution.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors