Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tadawID
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Service live connection with Azure Analysis Services pulling data from Azure Blob Storage

Hi,

I have a model on Azure Analysis Services (compatibility 1400), which utilize some files from Azure Blob Storage being connected as Data Source.

2017-10-30_09h59_22.png

I have several tables now created in VS (enhanced with PowerQuery editor), some measures and relations added and the model deployed to Azure. In Power BI Desktop I have been able to connect to AAS ('Live connection'), add visualization layer and publish to Power BI Service (app workspace).

BTW, I have an On-premises Data Gateway (personal mode) installed and running, but is this case it seems not relevant, since here I am not using any on-prem data sources. However, 'settings' section in Power BI Service says that my data gateway is online, but all datasources are offline (!?).

The issue I am experiencing now is that after updating some files on the Blob Storage I can not see them updated on Power BI Service side.

When opening the model (in Visual Studio 2017) I can see in the Grid view that tables actually have the latest data, but after deployment it doesn't refresh when opened in Power BI Desktop (hitting refresh pulls some new measures, but not this new data from Blob Storage). 

Interestingly, when I am opening the table in Design view, there are old records. So it seems that the PowerQuery doesn't refreshes the connection (and does not react to 'Refresh All' command). So, summing up: Azure Blob Storage have new data set > Table edited in PowerQuery Designer (VS) shows old data > Table in Grid view (VS) presents new data set > Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service report shows old data.

Any clues what is happening? How to refresh the connection created by PowerQuery when importing new table (if that is the case)?

[this has been also posted on Azure Analysis services forum]

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tadawID,

You update files on the Blob Storage, you need to update it in Analysis Service, so that Power BI can get the latest data. So make sure you process the database in Azure Analysis service, then get data from AS in Power BI. For more detailed about how to process Analysis database, please get professional support from Azure Analysis services forum.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hello Angelia,

many thanks for your reply! I have managed to refresh it by going into Management Studio and processing the whole database there, then going back to VS refreshing the query in Table Designer (PQ), deploying solution, refreshing Power BI Desktop visualisations, publishing to Power BI Service and updateting the app... however what I have expected was to have it happening automatically. I can't imagine doing it every time the new data is palaced into Blob Storage. I must doing somethin wrong and I guess is something about authentication, but no idea in which step. Awaiting support from AAS forum indeed. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors