Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zebulon_jones

Power BI Service in different regions

Can anyone provide me a link with an explanation / best practices or some feedback on how Power BI service behaves whenever data is stored in one region of the world and then accessed by a user in another?

Basically we have data being stored in the U.S. and are getting feedback from international sites (South America / Asia) that reports published to an app perform slow for them but U.S. based users seem to do fine. 

I'm relatively new to using PBI so I'm looking to understand what can be done to increase performance globally. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

This typically can happen for a few reasons.

The main reason is if the connectivity from South America & Asia have slow connectivity?
Along with that very often the path that the data travels via the internet backbone has a very long way to travel. This adds time to the reports and clicking on changes.

Combine this with potentially slow internet and it can be very slow.

The option is to use Power BI Premium and geolocate Power BI datasets closer to the end users.

Here are more details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-premium-multi-geo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @zebulon_jones 

If you have Power BI Premium  capacity ,maybe you can take a try  configure Multi-Geo.

It can help  extend your Power BI tenant to store your users’ data in the geographies covered in the Microsoft Trust Center,

As mentioned in this document,the following items are stored in the Premium region when Multi-Geo is enabled:

• Models (.ABF files) for import and Direct Query datasets
  • Query cache
  • R images

These items remain in the home region for the tenant:

• Push datasets
  • Excel workbooks
  • Dashboard/report metadata: e.g., tile names, tile queries
  • Service buses for gateway queries or scheduled refresh jobs
  • Permissions
  • Dataset credentials

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @zebulon_jones,

you could take a look at the following documentation that describes particular actions, also when slow performance is isolated to a specific geography or region. I'll give you a heads-up, it all costs money 🙂
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/report-performance-troubleshoot

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

This typically can happen for a few reasons.

The main reason is if the connectivity from South America & Asia have slow connectivity?
Along with that very often the path that the data travels via the internet backbone has a very long way to travel. This adds time to the reports and clicking on changes.

Combine this with potentially slow internet and it can be very slow.

The option is to use Power BI Premium and geolocate Power BI datasets closer to the end users.

Here are more details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-premium-multi-geo

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the response. We will look into this!

Happy to help!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors