Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

avk
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Service connection to SQL Server on AWS EC2 instance

Hi All,

We have a SQL Server installed on AWS EC2 instance, we are trying to explore the possibility of having a secure connection from the Power Bi service to SQl Server on AWS. We are not exploring AWS Redshift so the existing connector to Redshift is not something we can use. Data sources on Power BI service gives options to connect to on SQL Server on Azure. Is there a way to connect to Sql Server on AWS EC2 from Power BI Service?

Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @avk,

As described in this document, to connect to database instance from Power BI service, only Databases in the Cloud and Databases on-premises (SQL Server Analysis Service) are supporte. For other types of databases in your organization, you’ll need to first use Power BI Desktop or Excel to connect to, query, and load data into a data model.

Maybe you could submit this feature request at Power BI Ideas page. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi avk, I was also trying to connect SQL Server on AWS EC2 instance thru Power BI Desktop. Though when I was trying to connect to the database server, an error message says "Microsoft SQL: A network -related or instance-specific error occured while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible......"

In authentication method, I used Database and put my account (which has access to the SQL Server Database) as username and password.

Did I miss something here? How'd you succesfully connect your SQL Server in Power BI?

Thank you!

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @avk,

As described in this document, to connect to database instance from Power BI service, only Databases in the Cloud and Databases on-premises (SQL Server Analysis Service) are supporte. For other types of databases in your organization, you’ll need to first use Power BI Desktop or Excel to connect to, query, and load data into a data model.

Maybe you could submit this feature request at Power BI Ideas page. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply, could you please ellaborate a bit more. When you say only Databases in the Cloud and Databases on-premises (SQL Server Analysis Service) are supported, does this mean databases only in Azure cloud? So , if there is SQL Service Analysis services on an AWS EC2 instance  will that be considered as database on premise? Having a gateway installed on the AWS EC2 instance have connectivity from the Power BI service?

Thanks

Hello, 

I would also be interested in a scenario where you have embedded power bi in azure connect to an existing database residing on aws.  In my case that database would be Postgres.  Is there a scenario where I can achieve this kind of connection without moving the data on-premise or on azure cloud?  thank you

Razvan Caraghin

avk
Frequent Visitor

I have tried connecting to SQL Server on the EC2 instance using Power BI desktop and was succesful in doing that, however I want to know if there are any ways to connect to the SQL Server on the instance using Power BI Service. I've been looking around for some answers but could not find anything appropriate. Any help or suggestions will be of great help.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors