Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SubashGtm

Power BI Service - Scheduled refresh issue or Glitch??

Hello Community,

I am experincing strange behavior on scheduled refesh on my power BI report. I have power BI pro Account and my power BI file is about 34 MB on size (Import mode) scheduled 8 refreshes a day, takes about 5 mins to refresh. Been arounds for more than 2 years.

We started experinceing some data issues on reports for last few months and the the problem would automatically resolved after next refresh. After some refreshes, seems like power BI would load only partial data into its dataset. When I check the refresh schedule it says completed successfully with out any error but the report would not display all the data. Then if I go and download the same file from Power BI service and open on my desktop I can see all data, Problem would saty there until next refresh and if we refresh again problem would go away. Has anyone experinced similar issues or if there is any limit of power BI that causing this issue?

This problem is very intermittent and most of the time next refresh would automatically resolve the issue. Any help would be appricaited.

Thank in Advance

7 REPLIES 7
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SubashGtm ,

Have you tried refresh the report through Refresh menu?

Please check the document.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#refresh-of-report-visuals 

If the problem still exists, you could post the Issues forum here:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues
And you could try to open a support ticket. It is free if you have a Pro account.

Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Is this refreshing via a Gateway?

Can you post an example of the error message?

Another option is to download the file, open it with the latest version of PBI desktop, refresh, save and upload again?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ  There was no error message, the refresh history would say completed successfully but the the report would be missing some data.

Example:

After glitched refresh on power Bi service

the "Year" Slicer on report has only one item ( 2018,2017)  (Which I think caused by glitch)

I downloaded the same copy from service (which had issues) and open it in Power BI desktop,

the same "Year" slicer has all values (2020,2019,2018,2017) ( all data)

The next scheduled refresh happens the problems gets resolved itself. 

I'm getting the exact same issue from an old report only loading some of the tables from Azure SQL. Seems to be the larger Fact tables but only some of them. Started happening a month or two ago.

Works fine on desktop.... haven't found a solution yet but wasted a few days trying different things.

For me I found it was the timming of the refresh of my Azure SQL data warehouse. This had not finished refreshing before my BI report started its refresh. This caused it to load up some of the tables blank. The warehouse had grown in size enough over the last couple of month to cause the refresh time to stretch out longer. Hence why I did not have this promblem when I first published my BI report. @SubashGtm  Something quick and easy to check any how.

I had make sure the SQL job was not running. The issue is only on Power Bi service, once the report is downloaded to desktop it appeasrs to have full data set. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ  Thank you for your reply. The data source is Azure SQL so there is no gateway. We had published power bi file with latest version of power bi desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors