Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

omk

Power BI Service (Embedding) Term of Use for SaaS solution

I wish to know the Terms of Use of the new Power BI Service offering with Embedding API. A Power BI Pro licensed account can be used by an application to implement the "App owns data" scenario allowing anyone with access to the web app with access to the Power BI report. https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-embed-sample-app-owns-data/

Is this permissible for a SaaS application that displays Power BI reports to its users? Is a Power BI Premium license required? The minimum commitment of $5000/month for a P1 node would shoot the budget off the roof.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@omk Embedded can be used in internal or external facing applications. I'm not aware of any restrictions if you leverage reporting in your site for a fee, you are still paying for Power BI.

An Embedded license is required. This could be the EM - Office 365 sku, or the new Azure Embedded sku (Power BI Embedded) - be sure to check that out.

The Premium P1 sku will give you access to using the Service as a sharing platform as well as the use of embedded, but if all you need to do is embed, then I would just look at either of thos options I list above.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@omk Embedded can be used in internal or external facing applications. I'm not aware of any restrictions if you leverage reporting in your site for a fee, you are still paying for Power BI.

An Embedded license is required. This could be the EM - Office 365 sku, or the new Azure Embedded sku (Power BI Embedded) - be sure to check that out.

The Premium P1 sku will give you access to using the Service as a sharing platform as well as the use of embedded, but if all you need to do is embed, then I would just look at either of thos options I list above.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer thank you for your reply. I will explore the Azure Embedded SKU further.

Just for the sake of clarity - I am able to get my app described below functioning without the Power BI Embedded SKU. Do you suggest that purchase of the Embedded SKU is required for compliance with Power BI licensing?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-embed-sample-app-owns-data/

@omk I need to spend more time in this space to fully understand the touchpoints, but I would always suggest being in compliance. I would be interested in whether or not anyone else could view the embedded content without the license... If so, I would imagine that it would only be a matter of time before that would be buttoned up if they could. Either way, you are better of being licensed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors