Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Service - Dataset Owner

Hi I Power BI Service when you publish a reprot and go to data set settings you notice a warning message like this image below. The Dataset is configured by someone else and would you like to take over the settings ?

when it says configured by someone else does it mean the data source credentials used for this report by the person(blacked out in image) who published this report? 

Thanks 

PBI Takeover Ownership.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

######################

To all those run into the same problem.  Here is  the outcome of the MS support and I have also test by running profiler. 

######################

If you are using Azure Data Warehosue as your source and intend to use Multiple Service Accounts - You cannot use multiple service accounts.  

If you want end user to access the report using thier Access token you turn on Single Sign On Option. This happens on the Data Source level i.e. Data Warehosue Level. Changing this option anytime later for the same source will impact on "All" the reports pointed towards same data warehosue.

If you dont turn on Single Sign On , you can use your personal account or service account to connect to DW, this again changes at Data Source Level, not on the Power BI Dataset and Data Source Level. 

This means even though UX allow you  to configure data source credentials at each dataset level when you are set as dataset owner changing the credential applies to all reports not the just the dataset in question. 

To be honest it is a bit disappointment for me as i was expect that we should able to configure Dataset Specific user credential.

Anyways , may be it is road map.   

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Anonymous 

The owner is the person who published the file to the service.  

The credentials used to authenticate the data source - could be the same OR it could be a service account, etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does that mean , the report dataset , the publisher and the credential for the data source are specific to this report?

i.e. I can have another report in the same workspace for the same source but use different login credentials specifc for the second report? 

Is there a way we can see what report dataset is use what data source login credentials in the Power BI Service ?

thanks 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Does that mean , the report dataset , the publisher and the credential for the data source are specific to this report?

--> It's specific to dataset. The initial owner of any dataset is the person who published it. When taking over, services will ask for datat source credentials so as to check/validate you are rightly taking over a known dataset.

i.e. I can have another report in the same workspace for the same source but use different login credentials specifc for the second report?

--> Any number of reports on the same dataset won't change the owner of dataset. You publish any no. of reports based on the same dataset using different log-in. So, even if you are not owner of dataset, you can publish report in that workspace on that dataset.

Is there a way we can see what report dataset is use what data source login credentials in the Power BI Service ?

--> Click on View->Lineage to view what data source, dataset and report is used. When clicked on dataset, you can view the owner of dataset too.

lineage.PNG

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Anand, 

Thanks for the reply. Much Appreciated 

When i read my own 2nd question I see it was confusing.  Here is my rephrased 2nd question. 🙂

I can have another report[dataset] in the same workspace for the same source[ADW] but use different login credentials specifc for the second report[dataset]?

Thanks 

@Anonymous, Yes you can !

Anonymous
Not applicable

######################

To all those run into the same problem.  Here is  the outcome of the MS support and I have also test by running profiler. 

######################

If you are using Azure Data Warehosue as your source and intend to use Multiple Service Accounts - You cannot use multiple service accounts.  

If you want end user to access the report using thier Access token you turn on Single Sign On Option. This happens on the Data Source level i.e. Data Warehosue Level. Changing this option anytime later for the same source will impact on "All" the reports pointed towards same data warehosue.

If you dont turn on Single Sign On , you can use your personal account or service account to connect to DW, this again changes at Data Source Level, not on the Power BI Dataset and Data Source Level. 

This means even though UX allow you  to configure data source credentials at each dataset level when you are set as dataset owner changing the credential applies to all reports not the just the dataset in question. 

To be honest it is a bit disappointment for me as i was expect that we should able to configure Dataset Specific user credential.

Anyways , may be it is road map.   

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , the owner should be the person who published this report.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-request-access

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors