Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Renu
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Service Data refresh with Azure SQL Database as datasource

Hi,

I am in a confused state right now while trying to understand the refresh of power bi report with Azure sql database as datasource. I am using Direct Query mode to connect to the Azure. The Data on Azure  is now getting refreshed every 10mins, with the hope that the data on Power BI will get updated too. But that is not the case. we have to wait an hour to see the data updated ,unless I manually refreshed the dataset. I have been reading the Questions and answers in this power BI Community, and noticed that lot of people are saying that visual interaction in my scenario will cause the data to get updated. I already spent half a day in understanding/trouble shooting, but couldnt figure out. Any help is appreciated.

Is waiting an hour is the limitation of power bi pro? or any setting that i am missing?

Thanks,

Renuka.

4 REPLIES 4
Renu
Frequent Visitor

Some more findings..

My Dataset included Onedrive datasource along with the Azure. Is that stopping the data update? I tested out with Azure only as datasource and i can see it changing every 10mins? Any thoughts/insights?

-Renuka

@Renu,

Some more findings..

My Dataset included Onedrive datasource along with the Azure. Is that stopping the data update? I tested out with Azure only as datasource and i can see it changing every 10mins? Any thoughts/insights?

-Renuka

Do you connect to onedrive for business via OAuth web connector? If it is, this may caused by you haven't set the schedule refresh for your onedrive datasource, please check dataset-> schedule refresh in power bi service.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

@Tao,

Thanks for your reply. I am connecting to Onedrive for business using Personal Gateway. I had scheduled refresh, but i removed it to test and yet wasnt getting the data up to date in Power BI.

If Onedrive is the issue, What are the best ways to pull the Reference Tables/Ancillary tables that are in Excel along with Azure sql database to get the live data?

TIA,

Renuka

@Renu,

You can connect to azure sql database with direct query mode.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors