Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Service D365 ODATA Refhresh Timeout

Hi,

I have created a data model in Power BI which is based on Entities from D365. The data is loaded via ODATA.

When pushing the report to the powerbi service the refresh runs into a timeout. But only for some entities.

Error Message:

Error.png

I already tried to increase the timiemout to 30 minutes. But this did not solve the problem.

= OData.Feed("xxxxxxx?cross-company=true", null ,[Timeout=#duration(0, 0, 30, 0)])

Does somebody know a solution?

Cheers

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok the solution was to use Bring your own data instead of ODATA. The time out could not be fixed.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

I would suggest trying to load the data in smaller chunks, OData can at times be very slow to get data out, and that is possibly why it is timing out.

If you could load tables in parallel and then merge them at the end?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Morning GilbertQ,

thanks for your replay but I had to split the data in mor chunks. I guess the main problem is the authorization per entitiy. To get data across all companys with ODATA when connecting to dynamics 365 I have to ad the parameter "?cross-company=true" to the feed. Because of that, power bi creates for every entity a conection which needs to be authorised. I guess that authorization takes to long??

Example 

Thanks.

Alex

Hi there

That could well be the issue.

Is it possible to see if you try with one if it works successfully?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I tried to upload just one Entity to the powerbi service which always run into a timeout.

But I get the same issue. So it has to do with the entity and not with the amount of entities.

I have still no solution and I created a ticket at microsoft.

Lets see if they can fix that issue. 

Cheers

Alex

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok the solution was to use Bring your own data instead of ODATA. The time out could not be fixed.

Hi all,

we've got the same issue with timeout in PBI Service when connecting to Odata source. We found a solution using standart PBI and Odata tools. We use Odata to get data from our local accounting system, but maybe this solution could also fit D365.

What we do - we transform Odata into json and use Web connector in Power Query, not Odata:

1. Click on Get data and choose Web

2. Paste Odata url and add new parameter in the end of url   &$format=json

3. Provide credentials 

4. Convert into table

10.png

5. Click on List

11.png

6. Convert the list into table

13.png

7. Expand the columns

14.png

8. Note that all data from json is of text type, so you need to change it to appropriate.

The last thing I want to mention is that refreshing works fine only via personal gateway but  I hope that it is our local issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors