Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pnopbi
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Service - Account for Dataset Refresh Account

Is there a best practice for the account used for a PBI Service Dataset Refresh?

I know it uses the user's credentials that published the PBIX. However I'd rather have a SPN that won't require re-authentication from time to time.

Thank you for your input.

3 REPLIES 3
AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi @pnopbi 

I got away with this scenario, by getting a generic account for my team.
I assigned all the perms to that account and asked my IT team to create a generic account (like an email group) and add all my teammates to it. And now everyone uses that generic account, so we can share the reports amongst us and no need to change passwords every time and anyone can refresh in service as well.

Thanks,

Ankit

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904

Thanks for the reply, the organization in question requires Authentication with MFA so I don't think I can get around the re-entering the credentials from time to time. In Azure, I think we'd use SPN and not a service account. 
I'd like to know what others are doing in terms of not using a user account and mainting the security requirements of their orgs.

arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

Using Non Expiring Service Account are the best option to go with, the same should also be used in gateway sources

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution and give it a thumbs up

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors