Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AMD0791
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI Rest API documentation "Try it" option gone

I have loved the "Try it" button on the Power BI Rest API documentation pages.  It's handy for doing a small tasks quickly without writing authorization calls and getting tokens.  I used it the afternoon of 4/6 and it worked great.  The button disappeared by the afternoon of 4/7.  

Will this feature be returning or replaced with a similar option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AMD0791 ,

It's a new production Issue added in Power BI Known Issue list.

"Try it" button is missing on every pages in PBI REST API. This is caused due to internal regression. The documentation team is aware of this and working on the fix. No ETA for the fix at this moment.

Workaround:
User are advised to try the APIs using any external API testing tools. For example : Postman

I will give you feedback as soon as there are any updates.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AMD0791 ,

It's a new production Issue added in Power BI Known Issue list.

"Try it" button is missing on every pages in PBI REST API. This is caused due to internal regression. The documentation team is aware of this and working on the fix. No ETA for the fix at this moment.

Workaround:
User are advised to try the APIs using any external API testing tools. For example : Postman

I will give you feedback as soon as there are any updates.

Best Regards,

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was a super helpful option team 😞 Please do put it back soon.

Its more than a month Tryit option is disabled in the Documentation. Which is frustrating, the solution which works as expected & now it breaks . And now we are going to get excuses for the workarounds.

Please let us know if this can be resolved or this option will be disabled going forward

Hi

Any updates on this?  I do not have access to external API testing tools like Postman.  I have just been building an admin report and testing admin APIs.

Any updates appreciated thanks 

Karen

I know this is not the best solution and I also want the "Try it" button back. Just wanted to ensure you know Postman also is on web, and no client install is necessary. Can run it directly in browser.

On my work Computer Postman is not allowed, but the web version works like a charm.

The whole Power BI REST API library is also available to import into Postman. You can then save all your scripts and use it when necessary.

br

Marius

Thank you for the advice on Postman.  Is there a handy way to deal with the authentication piece in postman?  One of the nice things with the "Try it" option is you just logged in and it worked.  Everything I've seen on using the Power BI api in postman involves hard-coding usernames/passwords and copy/pasting expiring keys as part of the query.

Hi @KarenL7 ,

Unfortunately there is currently no update on this issue, it is still in the process of being fixed and no feedback has been received on when the final fix will be available.

Best Regards,

DBertsch

I have not seen the feature on any of the APIs I have chosen thus far.  Hoping the issue is resolved soon.  Thank you @Karina_Vieira for opening the issue with Microsoft.

Karina_Vieira
Regular Visitor

Same here...noticed this morning that the button had disappeared. I even raised a ticket to Microsoft questioning about this button, as this option is still active on other APIs

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors