cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Power BI Report web part for SharePoint Online Discussion

The new Power BI (preview) web part for SharePoint Online is now available globally for Office 365 First Release customers. The web part lets you securely embed Power BI reports from your PowerBI.com account in SharePoint Online pages so you can build secure internal portals easily. The web part requires users configuring the web part and consuming the reports to have Power BI Pro licenses.  

Let's use this thread to discuss the new Power BI report web part for SharePoint Online.   

Please read the documentation before asking a question, posting a comment below. The documentation contains answers to common questions and workaround for any known issues.

Known Issues:

When adding the Power BI (preview) web part, you are asked to sign-in but are not able to.

You will see error message similar to:

• "We need you to sign in again. Once you do, we'll bring you back here."
  • "An error occurred, please try logging out and back in and then revisiting this page"

To resolve this issue, ensure your tenant is set to "First release for everyone". To enable SSO, the Power BI web part relies on new Authentication APIs provided by the SharePoint team and only available when First release for everyone is selected. See the Office 365 documentation for detailed steps

87 REPLIES 87
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Dear all

Have followed this conversation and have to further emphasize the other comments: Idea great, but sadly not well implemented.

A reporting area within SharePoint makes sense, especially for O365 groups, but bear in mind that O365 Groups are disabled in most organizations as this can get out of hand with all the group websites, mail adresses etc. created every time.

Pro Licenses seem to be a requirement for viewing a report on SharePoint, but what about the premium license? So far, premium has not popped up in this thread. Can I use my premium capacity to show PowerBI Reports in SharePoint?

Thanks for the help, really hoping that we do not have to reconsider our BI Strategy.

Highlighted

Hi airfreigher,

A couple days ago John White wrote an article where you can find an answer about your question:

https://whitepages.unlimitedviz.com/2017/09/which-premium-sku-is-needed-to-embed-power-bi-reports-in...

I hope that will be helpful for you 😉

Highlighted

Hello All.  It's been almost 9 months.

Does this feature still require:

1. that full organization be set to first release in SPO?

2. that all report consumers have a PBI Pro license?

Please excuse a slight rant here about MSFT products.  Such great products lately with SO much potential.  BUT too often so hard to reach...

Dear Microsoft, if you make  it difficult for developers to test and demo your products you will significantly limit sales and profits in the long run.  IMO,  Testing and Development with MSFT products should be FREE to all globally.  Make your money based on true consumption and not user licenses.   Products like PBI, SPO and Azure should be open for development , at least to the point where developers can temp organizations into actually using and buying more of the platform.   A bit of free development and testing I/O and space is going to go a very long way.  Right??

Highlighted

I just discovered the cause of a problem that has been frustrating me for a week regarding this web part. I am using AD Universal Security groups to share access to the report.

My issue was that some members *of the same group* would see reports rendered in Sharepoint 365 while others were issued "Content not available" messages.

It turns out that users needed to open the report at least once on the Power BI site. After that, the embedded links would work properly. Obviously not what we want for this feature, but maybe this will save someone some pain during troubleshooting.

Highlighted

I just discovered the cause of a problem that has been frustrating me for a week regarding this web part. I am using AD Universal Security groups to share access to the report.

My issue was that some members *of the same group* would see reports rendered in Sharepoint 365 while others were issued "Content not available" messages.

It turns out that users needed to open the report at least once on the Power BI site. After that, the embedded links would work properly. Obviously not what we want for this feature, but maybe this will save someone some pain during troubleshooting.

Highlighted

I think the user just needs to access PowerBI once period, then it should work going forward.  Or, I think you can manually license them too with Powershell.  Ultimately, that first access adds a license for the user, then all should work.  

Highlighted

I just retetest after months and this seems to be working on our tenant now. But we still have the Power Bi Pro license requirement to view the report on the page.

Side note. I thought I read a post this weekend (11/17/2017) saying Power Bi was going to allow customers to share private reports with users on their tenant who do not have power bi licenses. Is this true? If so, when? I can't find the post now, but is going to impact this feature? Anybody got that link?

Highlighted

Seems what I read was PBI Premium.  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

We are planning to allow Free users access to reports that are embeded in sharepoint via below two setting:

1. Assign the app workspace where report located to Premium capacity.

2. Add the Free user to the list of members of that app workspace

The instruction on Power BI (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-embed-report-spo) is to embed report through webpart to the Modern Page. Which the instructions looks not applicable and the web part is not available while we are still using the Classic SharePoint UI.

Is there anyway we could embed report to the sharepoint while still using the Classic SharePoint UI? Or did I miss on reading something?

Thanks 🙂

Regards,

Vanessa

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I found out the latest conversation was middle of 2017. As 1 year later, can anyone from MS point me out that if viewing a SharePoint webpart embeded Power BI report still requires people with Power BI Pro license? if that's the case, what would be recommended if an organization needs to share a basic report to a broad audiences who only have E3 and Power BI Free license, or no license. I understand Power BI Premimum license allows user to show a report to non license audiences. As it's expensive, it's kindly discourage people to use Power BI when compare to other BI tools. 

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors