cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Power BI Report web part for SharePoint Online Discussion

The new Power BI (preview) web part for SharePoint Online is now available globally for Office 365 First Release customers. The web part lets you securely embed Power BI reports from your PowerBI.com account in SharePoint Online pages so you can build secure internal portals easily. The web part requires users configuring the web part and consuming the reports to have Power BI Pro licenses.  

Let's use this thread to discuss the new Power BI report web part for SharePoint Online.   

Please read the documentation before asking a question, posting a comment below. The documentation contains answers to common questions and workaround for any known issues.

Known Issues:

When adding the Power BI (preview) web part, you are asked to sign-in but are not able to.

You will see error message similar to:

• "We need you to sign in again. Once you do, we'll bring you back here."
  • "An error occurred, please try logging out and back in and then revisiting this page"

To resolve this issue, ensure your tenant is set to "First release for everyone". To enable SSO, the Power BI web part relies on new Authentication APIs provided by the SharePoint team and only available when First release for everyone is selected. See the Office 365 documentation for detailed steps

87 REPLIES 87
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello,

We are pleased to start playing with SharePoint Online Web part as it is now available for all users.

I believe I found a limitation just now on it. It seems filtering in the URL is not implemented at this point? Correct?

If confirmed that this limitation is there (not me doing it wrong) would you mind sharing with us it that is in the plan to implement it for GA?

That is necessary in many business case where we need to produce reports filtered in context.

Best regards.

Helper I
Helper I

Has anyone gotten this to work for more than one person?

I had no problem inserting a report in the web part and it works fine for me. However, when I shared it with someone he just gets the message "This content isn't available". He has a Power BI Pro trial and can see the report fine in Power BI. He is on first release in Office 365 and has Member permissions to the SharePoint site. 

If someone else has this working can you tell me if you had to set up some other permissions?

How is the report shared? Is it from a personal workspace or an App workspace?

It is an App workspace.

Any chance we will be able to customize the width and height of the web part in the near future? We have a few reports that exceed the default web part size and can't find any way to adjust the dimensions to fit the entire report without vertical and horizontal scroll bars. I hoped to add some javascript to adjust the iframe width and height as a workaround but then discovered the modern pages don't allow embedded javascript like the classic pages did so there's no way I can find to accomplish this currently.

Any chance we will be able to customize the width and height of the web part in the near future? We have a few reports that exceed the default web part size and can't find any way to adjust the dimensions to fit the entire report without vertical and horizontal scroll bars. I hoped to add some javascript to adjust the iframe size as a workaround but then discovered the modern pages don't allow embedded javascript like the classic pages did.

Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

Could someone confirm if the users really need to be on O365 first release in order for this to work?

When looking at the documentation it looks as if that requirment has been removed? https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-embed-report-spo/#requirements 

Is it that the authenticating API's is moved to GA in O365 now so SSO should work without first release?

Br,

Magnus

I just checked. We have users who are able to use the web part who are not in first release.

Has Microsoft decided to loosen the requirements on the PowerBI licensing yet? It is completely unrealistic to expect an organization (of 7,000+ employees) to purchase a PowerBI pro license for every single person that needs to view a report. The public embed WILL NOT work because I am dealing with sensitive (HIPAA Protected) data. What is the recommendation here?

@lukaszp Do you have an answer to the issue with PowerBI licensing? I have viewed every single thread on this topic and you have clearly ignored questions about licensing while at the same time answering other questions. Is it that you do not have an answer, that you are waiting on one, or that you haven't even bothered to pursue this issue with the people above you? I see no reason why this should be such a sensitive topic. IF Microsoft wants companies to purchase and use Sharepoint online, you need to make the tools affordable and comparable to previous iterations of Sharepoint, or else nobody will ever move to the cloud. It is like selling someone a desktop computer and then charging $10,000 for a mouse and a keyboard. It makes absolutely no sense. And the issue is only exacerbated by your refusal to address it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
November Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2020 Updates!

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

secondImage

Power Platform October Community Highlights

Check out the top community contributors across all of the communities

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors