Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lukaszp
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Power BI Report web part for SharePoint Online Discussion

The new Power BI (preview) web part for SharePoint Online is now available globally for Office 365 First Release customers. The web part lets you securely embed Power BI reports from your PowerBI.com account in SharePoint Online pages so you can build secure internal portals easily. The web part requires users configuring the web part and consuming the reports to have Power BI Pro licenses.  

Let's use this thread to discuss the new Power BI report web part for SharePoint Online.   

Please read the documentation before asking a question, posting a comment below. The documentation contains answers to common questions and workaround for any known issues.

Known Issues:

When adding the Power BI (preview) web part, you are asked to sign-in but are not able to.

You will see error message similar to:

• "We need you to sign in again. Once you do, we'll bring you back here."
  • "An error occurred, please try logging out and back in and then revisiting this page"

To resolve this issue, ensure your tenant is set to "First release for everyone". To enable SSO, the Power BI web part relies on new Authentication APIs provided by the SharePoint team and only available when First release for everyone is selected. See the Office 365 documentation for detailed steps

87 REPLIES 87
ataft
Advocate I
Advocate I

vleex5

Hi all,

I understand that in order to embed PowerBi report in SharePoint online, we need to have PowerBI pro license

And the report viewers will need to have PowerBI pro license as well.

We are currently using E1 license.

So in order to embed PowerBI report, can you advise which option below is feasible?

1. E1 + PowerBI Pro

2. E3 + PowerBI Pro

3. E5 (PowerBI Pro included)

I understand that E1 SharePoint Online doesn't have PowerBi Web part feature, so option 1 is not feasible right?

CorCEC

The "REQUIRED" PRO license for every viewer of the embed web part is a real deal-breaker.

From the point of view of our typical customer, e.g. an organization (company, association, small-businesses) which has not the capacity or the needs to upgrade to the Office E5 tier, it is only impossible to adhere to that kind of restrictions.

I understand the need of a PRO license for the content creators but not for the viewers.

I just want to point out that by sticking to this licensing restrictions, YOU (Microsoft) are losing both in customers and in image.

Many people have said approximately the same here before but I cannot stress this enough, as of now, we cannot sell Power BI to our customers.

Power BI Team, please consider this issue seriously.

frankchen
Regular Visitor

I finally figured out how to show a Power BI report on a SharePoint modern page, I basically tried the following options

1. Use modern Power BI SPFx web part. this approach requires your viewer to have Power BI Pro license. if they don't, the page will popup a message and ask them to either get a license or start a trail. I found out this approach is same as you share the report to others via Power BI desktop application. 
  2. Use embedded SPFx web part. To do this, you need to make sure your tenant admin allows you to publish Power BI report to a web. currently this configuration is available for Power BI tenant setting. it can be turn on for all tenant or specific groups. After your tenant admin enable that option, you will see a menu item called "Publish to web" availalbe on your Power BI -> File menu which allows you get a embedded code (iframe format html code). you can paste this code in the embedded SPFx web part or any web site which support embedded code via iframe. The good thing for this approach is the people who actually are gong to see the report from embedded don't need Power BI Pro license. The bad thing there is no security added on top of the embedded report which means anyone can see that report as long as they have that embedded code. You might be able to overcome that by using SharePoint page which allows you to add permission for the page. But underline, it didn't change the security of the embedded report. Please also see Publish to web from Power BI for more information. 

Personally, I still think MS should allow non-license people to view the report. Can MS let us know if this is scope they are working on or there is UserVoice we can vote it? Having all viewers to have Pro license is not going to compete with other BI products out there. 

Thanks

frankchen
Regular Visitor

As Power BI Embedded announced, can anyone tell if we can leverage Power BI embeded to allow users to view a Power BI report on SharePoint online page without a Power BI Pro license?

Thanks

frankchen
Regular Visitor

I found out the latest conversation was middle of 2017. As 1 year later, can anyone from MS point me out that if viewing a SharePoint webpart embeded Power BI report still requires people with Power BI Pro license? if that's the case, what would be recommended if an organization needs to share a basic report to a broad audiences who only have E3 and Power BI Free license, or no license. I understand Power BI Premimum license allows user to show a report to non license audiences. As it's expensive, it's kindly discourage people to use Power BI when compare to other BI tools. 

Thanks

I work for a charity and have just been revisiting Power BI as it has many features that I find very useful.

Sad to see that after more than 12 months, it seems that Power BI reports can still only be shared with other Power BI Pro users unless we use the Premium route which is also prohibitively expensive.

I shall be going back to PowerPivot which does a very good job and can be shared with the rest of the organisation.

It is a shame that such a powerful reporting tool as Power BI can effectively only be viewed by a very small number of people in an organisation.

Robd

van1111
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

We are planning to allow Free users access to reports that are embeded in sharepoint via below two setting:

1. Assign the app workspace where report located to Premium capacity.

2. Add the Free user to the list of members of that app workspace

The instruction on Power BI (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-embed-report-spo) is to embed report through webpart to the Modern Page. Which the instructions looks not applicable and the web part is not available while we are still using the Classic SharePoint UI.

Is there anyway we could embed report to the sharepoint while still using the Classic SharePoint UI? Or did I miss on reading something?

Thanks 🙂

Regards,

Vanessa

Using power bi in a classic sharepoint page:

I'm not 100% sure it works outside my direct team, but what I did is create a modern page and embedded the power bi into that, Then on the classic page, I used the script editor webpart and did an iframe to the modern webpage. I'm still working on the formatting, but it seems to work well for my team and I. I'm having the issue where I can't share it out with anyone else though... everyone outside my direct team is just getting a content unavailable. 

bennutt

I just discovered the cause of a problem that has been frustrating me for a week regarding this web part. I am using AD Universal Security groups to share access to the report.

My issue was that some members *of the same group* would see reports rendered in Sharepoint 365 while others were issued "Content not available" messages.

It turns out that users needed to open the report at least once on the Power BI site. After that, the embedded links would work properly. Obviously not what we want for this feature, but maybe this will save someone some pain during troubleshooting.

I think the user just needs to access PowerBI once period, then it should work going forward.  Or, I think you can manually license them too with Powershell.  Ultimately, that first access adds a license for the user, then all should work.  

bennutt

I just discovered the cause of a problem that has been frustrating me for a week regarding this web part. I am using AD Universal Security groups to share access to the report.

My issue was that some members *of the same group* would see reports rendered in Sharepoint 365 while others were issued "Content not available" messages.

It turns out that users needed to open the report at least once on the Power BI site. After that, the embedded links would work properly. Obviously not what we want for this feature, but maybe this will save someone some pain during troubleshooting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear all

Have followed this conversation and have to further emphasize the other comments: Idea great, but sadly not well implemented.

A reporting area within SharePoint makes sense, especially for O365 groups, but bear in mind that O365 Groups are disabled in most organizations as this can get out of hand with all the group websites, mail adresses etc. created every time.

Pro Licenses seem to be a requirement for viewing a report on SharePoint, but what about the premium license? So far, premium has not popped up in this thread. Can I use my premium capacity to show PowerBI Reports in SharePoint?

Thanks for the help, really hoping that we do not have to reconsider our BI Strategy.

Hi airfreigher,

A couple days ago John White wrote an article where you can find an answer about your question:

https://whitepages.unlimitedviz.com/2017/09/which-premium-sku-is-needed-to-embed-power-bi-reports-in...

I hope that will be helpful for you 😉

Treebob

Has Microsoft decided to loosen the requirements on the PowerBI licensing yet? It is completely unrealistic to expect an organization (of 7,000+ employees) to purchase a PowerBI pro license for every single person that needs to view a report. The public embed WILL NOT work because I am dealing with sensitive (HIPAA Protected) data. What is the recommendation here?

magsod
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

Could someone confirm if the users really need to be on O365 first release in order for this to work?

When looking at the documentation it looks as if that requirment has been removed? https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-embed-report-spo/#requirements 

Is it that the authenticating API's is moved to GA in O365 now so SSO should work without first release?

Br,

Magnus

I just checked. We have users who are able to use the web part who are not in first release.

roginsb

Any chance we will be able to customize the width and height of the web part in the near future? We have a few reports that exceed the default web part size and can't find any way to adjust the dimensions to fit the entire report without vertical and horizontal scroll bars. I hoped to add some javascript to adjust the iframe size as a workaround but then discovered the modern pages don't allow embedded javascript like the classic pages did.

roginsb

Any chance we will be able to customize the width and height of the web part in the near future? We have a few reports that exceed the default web part size and can't find any way to adjust the dimensions to fit the entire report without vertical and horizontal scroll bars. I hoped to add some javascript to adjust the iframe width and height as a workaround but then discovered the modern pages don't allow embedded javascript like the classic pages did so there's no way I can find to accomplish this currently.

JTwohig
Helper I
Helper I

Has anyone gotten this to work for more than one person?

I had no problem inserting a report in the web part and it works fine for me. However, when I shared it with someone he just gets the message "This content isn't available". He has a Power BI Pro trial and can see the report fine in Power BI. He is on first release in Office 365 and has Member permissions to the SharePoint site. 

If someone else has this working can you tell me if you had to set up some other permissions?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors