Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NA_ARTM
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Refresh Failure Group

Hello,

The IT created for me distribution list to receive the failure notification for dataset refresh and Dataflow. When I am using it as a contact in the Send failure notification box, I have the message "At least one contact user(s) or group(s) does not have required permission to receive refresh failure notification."

I can't find any requirement on what I can use in this box. I need a generic e-mail address / group which can forward the message to anyone in the group so I wouldn't have to maintain an e-mail list in each dataset or dataflow.

Regards,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Here is a good resource for which security groups can be used where in power bi.

There are many different types of Azure groups, not all of them can be used for every service in power bi.

And for your scenario, my guess is you put the distribution list in a dataset setting in a workspace. Pro license is required if you want to access a workspace. That could be the reason?

View solution in original post

Thank you for the link.

It worked with the mailed enabled security group without using any Power bi pro licence.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Check if the Delivery Management for that distribution list is limited to internal senders. If yes, you need to change that to internal and external, because Power BI service is considered as external sender with the email no-reply-powerbi@microsoft.com.

Unfortunatly, it did not solve the problem. I still have the error 😞

Do you have nested security groups on the distribution list? That could also be an issue. If yes, also check the delivery management for them.

No it is only a distribution list with only one e-mail which is mine.

After a few test, it seems it does not support e-mail address without a Power BI pro licence. But I can't use/waste a Power BI Pro licence for a distribution list....

Thanks, thats good to know. But it is a bit odd that one will need a pro license for notifications.

Ie agreee.

And it should work with an azure group, no ? But what kind of group is supported ?

Here is a good resource for which security groups can be used where in power bi.

There are many different types of Azure groups, not all of them can be used for every service in power bi.

And for your scenario, my guess is you put the distribution list in a dataset setting in a workspace. Pro license is required if you want to access a workspace. That could be the reason?

Thank you for the link.

It worked with the mailed enabled security group without using any Power bi pro licence.

According to "Power BI -for which security groups can be used where in power bi.", one should be able to use a distribution group for refresh failure notification. But in my case, that isn't working. I checked the group (Distribution list) in Azure AD and see that for some reason, there is no email-id listed for certain members. Not exactly sure why, so checking on that. Would that be a problem or do we have to use mail enabled azure ad security group? 

Just found out that where I don't see any email-id are the members that are contacts and not users. Should that be a problem??

Im not entirely sure, but it could be it. Because it is set up differently.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/concept-azure-ad-connect-sync-user-an...

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

I've always found these admin notifications in the Power BI service to be pretty limited so for requirements like this I tend to capture the emails with a Power Automate flow then route them to my liking (including for instance using Teams notifications).

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors