Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tomas12344
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI RLS connected to user groups

HI Experts.

The Customer want to implement RLS on power BI. I have read some articles how to do the RLS in PBI. But for me, it is little bit not practical, when i understand it correctly. I mean this situation.

I want to implement the RLS dynamicaly, that mean the users and the condition for accessing some data, will be stored in some table (the condition should look like [Country]='UK', or [Country] in ''''. 

The user should be assigned to some groups/roles base on the country, cost center,...

Then to access the PBI, there shold some user managment, which as i understand is managed in the Azure. 

the question:

I think, it would be good idea, if there will be some groups defined in the Azure, fe GROUP_1, GROUP_2,...

in this groups, the users shoudl be assigned, and the group should have access to some workspace of PBI/folder,...

is there a posibility to connect these groups defined in azure to the RLS defined in PBI? So later i have only to define the RLS condition for this group? I know, that i can identify the user base on the USERNAME, USERPRINCIPALNAME() function.

thanks

TOmas

4 REPLIES 4
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Have a read of: 
Row Level Security Configuration in Power BI Desktop - RADACAD

It works well if there are limit number of roles and people clearly sit in one of them.

If you have lots more roles and do need dynamic RLS then this might help:
Import Azure Active Directory Users into Power BI; An Step toward Dynamic Row-Level Security - RADAC...

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thank you for the answer. But, after your answer, the answer is simply, it is not possible. 

The static RLS is useless, or only when you have up to 5 reports. For more, it is not possible to manualy manage the RLS rules.

The dynamic way, which is described, is very little help. The table with list of the user can be build many ways. I would expect, when both solution are from MS, and both should be used for one purpose, that this would be connected together. 

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

It sounds like you're interested in static RLS. 

You can just define a role for each group and then just add that group into the role when you publish to the service. 

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

thank you for the answer. it sound interesting. Could you add more detail, im not sure if i understand you.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors