Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ustinovdl
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Publisher Authentication

Hello!
I have some problems with Power BI Publisher.
I installed Power BI Publisher on few PCs and on the 2 of them I have problem with storing Logins and Passwords automatically when I update the data.

I have some reports in Exel and when I try to Update ALL I have to fill my Password for Azure for every table in my report.
I have reports wich contain more than 20 tables. It's terrible!
I have this problem only on 2 computers. The same Windows.

The same Excel. What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, I solved the problem. Problem was in domain preferences for users. They couldn't store any passwords in their computers. I created trusted local area for storing that.

I added 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Protect\Providers\df9d8cd0-1501-11d1-8c7a-00c04fc297eb]
"ProtectionPolicy"=dword:00000001

to registry and it worked 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I guess, start with what version of Windows, 32-bit or 64-bit, version of Power BI Desktop (File | Options and settings | Options | Diagnostics). How many machines does it work on and what are the differences between those installs?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I pinned the same account in Azure in Power BI Publisher. On 8 PCs it stored automatically. On others no.

Ah, sorry. Power BI Publisher. Hmm. Maybe something to do with Trusted File locations or something? Or some Excel setting perhaps. I'll have to research that one.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

If I knew where I should find I would found it...
I opened Excel from Administrator user.
I tried to do the same actions on all PCs. I hope It's only checkbox or something else in preferences, but I don't know what.

Hi @Ustinovdl,

According to my test, Excel file doesn't store the credentials. When I copy it to another computer, the log in information is missed. So the credentials could be stored in the computer. Maybe these post could help. Please handle it carefully.

office-applications-periodically-prompt-for-credentials-to-sharepoint

how-to-get-rid-of-prompts-for-credentials-connecting-to-proxy-server-officeimg-v

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Ustinovdl,

Could you please tell me if your problem was resolved? Could you please share the answer or mark the proper answer as solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, I solved the problem. Problem was in domain preferences for users. They couldn't store any passwords in their computers. I created trusted local area for storing that.

I added 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Protect\Providers\df9d8cd0-1501-11d1-8c7a-00c04fc297eb]
"ProtectionPolicy"=dword:00000001

to registry and it worked 

I didn't install Power BI Desktop. Only Power BI Publisher for Excel 32-bit.

I have the same Windows x64 on all computers.

On some computers I filled the Login and Password once and I can Refresh the data without doing that again for every refreshing datasets in the report. 

For 2 other computers I have to do it a lot of times.

I don't know what information I can give you for solving this...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors