Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI - Publish to web (Public) Data Cache Setting

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web#howitworks 

Occrding to documentation currently a public embedded report (no auth) can only refresh from the cached dataset every 1 hour? 

Could this be customisable, as I set the page refresh to every 5 mintues and the query is sub 1 second using Direct Query. Id like to get my reports details out to our public more timely than every 1 hour. What options do we have?

9 REPLIES 9
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

&refresh=5 appended to the URL does not work on my side. As the official document said—— When a data refresh occurs for an import data model, the service clears the cached data and retrieves new data.  I don't think &refresh=5 could clear the cache of browser. 

To my knowledge, the report you have published to web should refresh after you the dataset is refreshed. Data refreshes are automatically reflected in your embedded report or visual. But it can take approximately 1 hour for refreshed data to be visible from embed codes.

You could use schedule refresh to set refresh time of the dataset, but if you want to reduce the  frequency for publish to web refresh(less than an hour), I am afraid currently this s not supported. However, usually it does not take 1 hour to refresh.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

my dataset is direct query though - and 2 minute auto refreshes at the page level as well. So I cant say the public published version is the same as a logged in version. In my experience of monitoring the public version is only refreshes every 1 hours at best.... 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Yes, as I said before, You could use schedule refresh to set refresh time of the dataset, but if you want to reduce the frequency for publish to web refresh(less than an hour), I am afraid currently this s not supported. However, usually it does not take 1 hour to refresh.

If this post helps you a little, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Were can I put this forward for future consideration as a setting against the dataset? e.g. public version refresh interval. If you have a direct query report that runs every 2 minutes the public version is still only getting refreshed on default every 1 hour. I think this should be customisaible as a setting somewhere. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Actually, since the data is cached for one hour from the time it is retrieved, we don’t recommend using Publish to web for data that needs to refresh frequently. 

For more details, please kindly take a look at the official document:

Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its been optimised for heavy usage though - and we want this data available to the public on a more real time basis. Minutes vs hourly. Surely there is other cases around the world?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

Just wanted to share with you that you're not alone, I'm also interested by the possibility to set up the cache duration.

I've created a post (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Now-function-not-updated-on-Power-BI-Service/m-p/1919880) but the answer I got is unsatisfying.

I understand that Power BI Service put the embed code in cache for 1 hour so that it won't affect the performance as many thousands users can have access to this public URL but 1 hour is too long, especially since I only read a 16 rows-Excel file as a parameterized input and I only use Now() function.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cache Duration should certainly be a parameter we can set within the settings. As public share mode will have greater use cases and flexibility with this. 110% agree with you there!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does &refresh=5 as a parameter on the end actually make it refresh from the dataset every 5 minutes?

Was one of the suggestions on another webpage..

Though when refreshing the page it justs back to the reverted 1 hour refresh cache data. its very strange behaviour!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors