Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pitshyapong

Power BI Pro storage limit

So I have a question about storage

According to the doc. Any Workspace has a 10 GB storage limit. If Storage reaches a limit of 10 GB. I can just create a new Workspace to continue using or there are limits on how many workspaces can Pro user created?

Another question: There is a way to increase workspace storage?

And Does PPU have more workspace storage? I know that there are differences in model size between 1 GB and 100 GB

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @pitshyapong 

As I understand it the 10gb storage limit is licenced-based. A pro licence has 10gb of storage in the Microsoft Cloud. This can be in "My Workspace" and over multiple Workspaces (App Workspaces).  With multiple licences the storage is aggregated between the licences. If the Power BI tenant  has 10 licences that's 100gb available for App Workspaces between the 10 licences, but "My Workspace" still has an individual limit of 10gb. 

There are no limits on how many App Workspaces a user can create, provided they stay within the total storage available in their tenant.

There is no way to increase the amount of storage, other than purchasing more licences.

PPU does not have more storage, each PPU licence brings 10gb like Pro.

Premium Per Capacity licences have 100tb (terabytes) of storage and unlimited storage in "My Workspace".

See: Manage data storage in your workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Having said that, the Data in a dataset is compressed and depending on the cardinality of your data this can be very efficient. See Data reduction techniques for Import modeling - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

My experience is that it is very rare for anyone to use up their data storage allowance.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pitshyapong

That answer my question 

Thank you for the reply

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @pitshyapong 

As I understand it the 10gb storage limit is licenced-based. A pro licence has 10gb of storage in the Microsoft Cloud. This can be in "My Workspace" and over multiple Workspaces (App Workspaces).  With multiple licences the storage is aggregated between the licences. If the Power BI tenant  has 10 licences that's 100gb available for App Workspaces between the 10 licences, but "My Workspace" still has an individual limit of 10gb. 

There are no limits on how many App Workspaces a user can create, provided they stay within the total storage available in their tenant.

There is no way to increase the amount of storage, other than purchasing more licences.

PPU does not have more storage, each PPU licence brings 10gb like Pro.

Premium Per Capacity licences have 100tb (terabytes) of storage and unlimited storage in "My Workspace".

See: Manage data storage in your workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Having said that, the Data in a dataset is compressed and depending on the cardinality of your data this can be very efficient. See Data reduction techniques for Import modeling - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

My experience is that it is very rare for anyone to use up their data storage allowance.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hi Burningsuit,

you said " PPU does not have more storage, each PPU licence brings 10gb like Pro.

Premium Per Capacity licences have 100tb (terabytes) of storage and unlimited storage in "My Workspace"."

Can you explain it?

I am a little confused. Because I read Pricing & Product Comparison | Microsoft Power BI,

it's showed PPU have 100 TB and Premiun Per Canpacity have 100 TB.

thank you very much!

Hi @Lilian970 

That was my view back in November 2021, it appears things have changed since then, and PPU has 100TB of storage, (or the documentation has improved 🙂 )

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors