Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jsteele58
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Pro or Free

I have taken a good look at the power BI features and the power BI Pro to determine what I need for my organisation but I still have some questions. 

1) I understand that curated content packs are available for free, but I will be connecting to CRM dynamics online just through the Odata connection. Just this count as "consuming live data sources" and therefore everyone would require a pro licence?

2) My datasets might contain more than 10,000 rows but I would not need more than a daily refresh. I therefore don't need higher than 10k an hour input rate but I will need to be able to get 10k rows in for each refresh.

3) the capacity limits of 1GB and 10GB. Is that referring to the amount of data being loaded into power bi or the data passing through it? If I am connecting to dynamics through the Odata source then I will store data models in power bi but not vast quantities of data so I could get away with just 1GB?

I am at an organisation where I will be the only person making reports and connecting to dynamics crm online but a number of staff will be consuming the reports I produce either in power bi or through dashboards in CRM and want to reduce costs where I can.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

OData does not count as a live data source. The live data source stuff is for streaming data like data coming from Azure Streaming Analytics, etc. You should be fine with Free as long as your data does not go over the free limit.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

OData does not count as a live data source. The live data source stuff is for streaming data like data coming from Azure Streaming Analytics, etc. You should be fine with Free as long as your data does not go over the free limit.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors