Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sdmikejr
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Pro and Power BI Premium

I need a professional's guidance with regards to Power BI Pro licensing...

The division within the company I work for has been on Power BI Pro licenses. (20 people. We were recently acquired by a Japanese company that is using Power BI Premium for their enterprise BI platform. While they are allowing us to continue to work with our Power BI Pro licenses, they do not want to allow me to setup a workspace. My questions with regards to this dilemma are as follows:

1) Can Power BI Pro licenses and Power BI Premium work and live harmoneously under the same tenant without bumping into eachother?

2) Does the Power BI Pro licenses take any capacity from the Premium account?

3) Is there a logical reason ( security, capacity, etc.) that they would not want me to create a workspace for my small team to delivery line of business dashboards?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PANDAmonium
Resolver III
Resolver III

I might not be the best person to answer this, but I'd like to know other people's thoughts as well in case I have something wrong. But from my understanding of things...

1. Yes. Power BI Premium still requires Power BI Pro Licenses. Premium gives you dedicated resources, # of front end cores and # of backend cores depending on which tier you purchase, along with some other added benfits. Pro licenses are still needed for sharing and collaboration. Viewers don't need Pro Licenses but editors who publish and share reports do. With Premium, you have the option to create both premium (using your dedicated capacity) or non-premium workspaces.

2. No.

3. Organization, structure, effeciency, cost, or management. Best guess is they probably don't want people creating a workspace for every report. By properly managing your worskspaces and permissions, you can better manage your reports and datasets. Long time excel users will sometimes like to create a new query and workbook for each use case on the same data instead of creating filters to use one report for multiple purposes which leads to... well, you know. So less outdated, unused information or "multiple versions of the truth" as well as reducing the number of datasets that are refreshing against your DBs for the same info and consuming resources.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PANDAmonium
Resolver III
Resolver III

I might not be the best person to answer this, but I'd like to know other people's thoughts as well in case I have something wrong. But from my understanding of things...

1. Yes. Power BI Premium still requires Power BI Pro Licenses. Premium gives you dedicated resources, # of front end cores and # of backend cores depending on which tier you purchase, along with some other added benfits. Pro licenses are still needed for sharing and collaboration. Viewers don't need Pro Licenses but editors who publish and share reports do. With Premium, you have the option to create both premium (using your dedicated capacity) or non-premium workspaces.

2. No.

3. Organization, structure, effeciency, cost, or management. Best guess is they probably don't want people creating a workspace for every report. By properly managing your worskspaces and permissions, you can better manage your reports and datasets. Long time excel users will sometimes like to create a new query and workbook for each use case on the same data instead of creating filters to use one report for multiple purposes which leads to... well, you know. So less outdated, unused information or "multiple versions of the truth" as well as reducing the number of datasets that are refreshing against your DBs for the same info and consuming resources.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors