Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NielsDecoene
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Pro Licensing

Hey,

I'm currently finishing up on a Proof of Concept of Power BI. But i'm kinda stuck on the licensing:

Currently my POC is setup in a trial O365 environment with Office365 Enterprise E3 licenses, however i'm not quite sure what licenses are actually required for Power BI pro to function.

So far my conclusions are:

-Power BI Pro 

-One Drive for Business (group collaboration mandatory)

-Exchange for distribution(inconclusive) 

-Excel (exploration in Excel)

Thus a Microsoft Business Essentials and Power BI Pro are the lowest mandatory version in order for a setup to work effectively.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong in any way, I look forward to your reply.

***EDIT***
So after having found the following pdf Power BI for Office 365
-SharePoint Online Plan 2 is the minimal requirement
-For functionalities (Power View/ Power Query/ Power Pivot/ Power Map) Pro Plus could be added

So a full feature Power BI Pro setup requires per user:

Office 365 E3 license + Power BI Pro Subscription Cost

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @NielsDecoene,

1. Power BI Pro licenses is the kind of content users can consume. Pro licenses are subscription based by user on annual basis. There's more information on their pricing page in regards to what you can and can't do with a free license vs a pro license. Basically, each user must have a pro license in order to consume reports made using pro features.

2. In your trial O365 environment with Office365 Enterprise E3 licenses, there is no Power BI Pro licenses. You can view all office apps in office form the official document. If you want to use it, you should get it separately. For Power BI Pro licenses, you can subscript a trial, but it is ineffective after one month. If you want to use it long time, you’d better Purchasing Power BI Pro according to this instruction.

3. If you want to connect OneDrive for Business to Power BI, you should sign up a OneDrive for Business group account or an individual OneDrive for Business account. For more details abot get data from OneDrive for Business, please referance to this article.

If you have any other problem, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks for your reply @v-huizhn-msft

Let me clarify a bit more

I've setup a trial o365 tenant

In which all users have a E3 trial subscription

My company has Power BI Pro licenses available which i've assigned to those users

Now all features are currently doable, but I was wondering if the E3 trial would expire.

Are there any limitations on what they can do with just Power BI Pro license.
Now i'm very well aware about One Drive as a source and what not.

But what I'm more interested in finding out would be for example:

Users will still be able to create Group Workspaces but the Calendar/Mail that is created for that group, are those functionalities still active.

Previous Conflicting information I found was that, SharePoint Online Plan II was required for Power BI Pro to function correctly, however this has apparently been altered so that there is no need for it anymore. 

In a nutshell my question is if they just purchase Power BI Pro Licenses, does it affect core functionalities as i.e. Distribution based upon e-mails, can they still do explore in Excel etc...

My regards in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors