Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Pro License Needed?

I am a new user of Power BI Service and Power BI Desktop.  I have saved a report to Power BI Service and pinned it to a live Dashboard.

As a next step, I want to share the Dashboard with a colleague who works across the hall from me.  He is also a Power BI user.

When I click the Share button, I get the following message:  "This feature is only available to users with a Power BI Pro license. When you upgrade, you get access to collaborate with others and distribute content. Upgrade today or try it free for 60 days."

Do I really need Power BI Pro in order to share my Dashboard with my colleague?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
zlokesh
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes you need to register Pro version and its free but NOTE that it is only for organizational account (yahoo,Gmail user  Sorry). With whom you are sharing the same also have to register for Pro. Thanks

If you find solution Please "Accept solution" else let me know.

View solution in original post

Hi there, note that the above information isn't correct. You will need to assign a Power BI Pro license even if you share to a gmail or external account if they do not have their own Power BI Pro account.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
zlokesh
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes you need to register Pro version and its free but NOTE that it is only for organizational account (yahoo,Gmail user  Sorry). With whom you are sharing the same also have to register for Pro. Thanks

If you find solution Please "Accept solution" else let me know.

Hi there, note that the above information isn't correct. You will need to assign a Power BI Pro license even if you share to a gmail or external account if they do not have their own Power BI Pro account.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

i have a PRO license and I cannot share with my collegues in my company. They have a free account? Can I share with them without add additional costs to the company? 

Thank you for your help

Hi there

You have two options to share content:
1. Any users you share reports to will require a Power BI Pro license
2. You have your workspace using Power BI Premium and when you grant the users access via an App, the free users can then see it via the App.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks to those of you who replied to my question.  I appreciate your responses.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Yes in order to share reports or dashboards, both yourself and the person you are sharing to would require a Power BI Pro License.

Power BI Blog

I am look to share documents with a number of users. Do they all need a Power BI Pro License? They will not be editing or changing the dashboards, but just filtering, so the dashboard can be static.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there, yes each user would need a Power BI Pro License.

The only other option is to embed Power BI into an external application where you use the EM SKUs
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi-embedded/

Power BI Blog

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

The main difference between a Free or Pro user is centered around sharing and collaboration. So here the pro license is necessary for you and the users that you want to share to.  If your content is assigned to Premium capacity, then there is no limitation in situation, free users can consume those contents as well. For more details, please check the online document.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors