Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Pro GCC - Sharing Workspace with External Entity and Vice Versa

We have recently started to use Power BI within our government tenant.  One of our offices is working with an external entity in where the external entity has built a workspace for our office.  When the external entity shares out the workspace for the government user to use, it routes the user to the standard https://app.powerbi.com site.  In doing so, the government user is presented with a "This content requires Power BI Pro" as the link unknowingly creates a new Power BI account in the commercial cloud.

If the government user shares out their workspace with the external entity instead, it creates a share link for the external entity to use pointing to the government cloud version of Power BI.  When the commercial user uses the link, it creates another Power BI account and then prompts the external user that they now need to purchase a Pro license.  Is it impossible to share workspaces between government and commercial users without having to re-purchase a Pro license?

Thanks,

Los

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for your replies.  I spoke with our Micrsoft Power BI Technical Contact and she stated that since the commercial cloud and the government cloud run independantly, licensing is also independant as well.  In other words, a Commercial Pro license is not the same as a Government Pro license, and vice versa.

The only option was for us to create a government user account in our tenant to then assign the appropriate license.

I think another option was to assign a license to a guest account, however we are restricted doing so via policy.

Thanks again for your assistance!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please let the external users try to access your workspace by the Tenant URL.

rul.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for your replies.  I spoke with our Micrsoft Power BI Technical Contact and she stated that since the commercial cloud and the government cloud run independantly, licensing is also independant as well.  In other words, a Commercial Pro license is not the same as a Government Pro license, and vice versa.

The only option was for us to create a government user account in our tenant to then assign the appropriate license.

I think another option was to assign a license to a guest account, however we are restricted doing so via policy.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Thanks for letting us know. This is really useful information for myself and other people in the community

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would suggest talking to your Microsoft representative.

I do not have a deep understanding, but from what I do know when there is a Government cloud they are managed separately. Which would explain why it is asking for another Power BI Pro license.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors