Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KaranGupta
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Pricing for multiple users

We are working on developing dashboards for our client.

I want to know pricing for 81 users for Power BI distributed in the following manner:
1.)[[Creator] 4 who are able to create dashboards, do data modelling and share the dashboards by email/URL((with Explorer/viewer)
2.) [Explorer]10 who are able to create dashboards and share them via email (with viewer) but not necessarily have Data modelling options available with them
3.)[Viewer] 67 access who are only able to view dashboards and use filters/slice-dice features and cant create or edit dashboards.
Kindly let me know the details

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Karan -

Here is a breakdown of some of the differences from Power Bi Free version and Power Bi Pro:

https://www.burningsuit.co.uk/blog/2018/02/power-bi-free-vs-pro/

If you are actually going to publish a URL to distribute to users via email then know that there is basically zero security on that, meaning anyone with the link will be able to gain access to the report.

I would suggest setting up an Office 365 tenant space, publishing your model to the tenant and then granting users access by setting them up as users in the tenant space.

You can try the free version with the users who are just explorers and see if it will work for you.  The biggest limitation, in my mind, is the scheduled data refresh from the gateway (your data stays updated from original source automatically).  That is a pro only feature and why I make an assumption that most likely you are going to need pro licenses.

If you have no concerns about the security (doesnt matter if unaffiliated people can see the data), then you could create the models in pbi desktop, publish to service, generate the URL and then email it out to users. 

To do this, you still need the Office 365 tenant space.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
healthEteam
Resolver I
Resolver I

If you are going to use a gateway and setup an auto refresh schedule for the models then you will need 81 Power Bi Pro licenses - $810 a month.

If you are going to manually refresh the data on a periodic basis then it is possible that the 67 could access your models using the power bi free.

When you say email/URL are you looking to make these publicly accessible?

It sounds like you need to setup an O365 tenant space and publish you models and then give each of these users appropriate access.

Hi HealthEteam,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

When I say "sharing dashboard via URL/email", I mean Creator/explorer should be able to share the dashboard via email/URL with Viewer.

I'll reframe my question.

Can a viewer see the dashboard shared by explorer/Creator with him via email/ URL and use filters/slice dice features  without being subscribed to the PowerBI pro version?

Regards

Karan -

Here is a breakdown of some of the differences from Power Bi Free version and Power Bi Pro:

https://www.burningsuit.co.uk/blog/2018/02/power-bi-free-vs-pro/

If you are actually going to publish a URL to distribute to users via email then know that there is basically zero security on that, meaning anyone with the link will be able to gain access to the report.

I would suggest setting up an Office 365 tenant space, publishing your model to the tenant and then granting users access by setting them up as users in the tenant space.

You can try the free version with the users who are just explorers and see if it will work for you.  The biggest limitation, in my mind, is the scheduled data refresh from the gateway (your data stays updated from original source automatically).  That is a pro only feature and why I make an assumption that most likely you are going to need pro licenses.

If you have no concerns about the security (doesnt matter if unaffiliated people can see the data), then you could create the models in pbi desktop, publish to service, generate the URL and then email it out to users. 

To do this, you still need the Office 365 tenant space.

Hi. You can share only report externally with share report functionality. There are some limitations. I cannob be live connection report. You cannot share dashboards but for that you can use powerbi embedded.

MateuszBI
Advocate I
Advocate I

Most probably you need 81 Pro licences or Premium Capacity (if you need capacity).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors