Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kamaizziati
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI Premium vs Power Bi Pro

Hi all,

I need better understanding of power bi premium.

1. Power BI Premium is provide to all user in that organization and no need to buy power BI pro for publish the dashboard?

2. The capcity of Power Bi Premium is apply to all user or organization?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Kamaizziati,

1. Power BI Premium is provide to all user in that organization and no need to buy power BI pro for publish the dashboard?

1.Though you have Power BI Premium, you also need to have Power BI Pro to publish reports, share dashboards, collaborate with colleagues in workspaces and engage in other related activities.

2.Yes, you are right. To start using a Power BI Premium capacity, you need to assign a workspace to a capacity.

For more details about Power BI Premium vs Power Bi Pro, you could have a reference of this article.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Think of Power BI Pro as a per user license (and you will need it for any report creator that wants to publish their report). Power BI premium is licensed by capacity (think of it as buying your own server in the cloud - dedicated capacity). As a consumer, you have 2 options - you can either get Pro license or you can read reports for free as long as it is hosted in a Premium capacity. 

So if you are buying Premium, you will get Pro for your report creators and just the Premium node for your consumers. You can run any number of users in a Premium node, however like every server, if you over-utilize it, you might end up with slow reports or even timeouts. This is why we recommend hardware sizing the Premium nodes (you have different capacities) based on the number of users - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/calculator/

For data storage, each Pro user gets 10 GB storage space. In Premium, you get 100 TB for the whole server. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Kamaizziati,

1.Though you have Power BI Premium, you also need to have Power BI Pro to publish reports, share dashboards, collaborate with colleagues in workspaces and engage in other related activities.

2.Yes, you are right. To start using a Power BI Premium capacity, you need to assign a workspace to a capacity.

For more details about Power BI Premium vs Power Bi Pro, you could have a reference of this article.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft,

Thanks for the reply, so we need to buy power bi pro and power bi premium togther to publish the dashboard? 

Its is true power Bi pro only have 10GB data capacity and we need power bi premium to add more power bi capcity?

Thanks Cheery

Think of Power BI Pro as a per user license (and you will need it for any report creator that wants to publish their report). Power BI premium is licensed by capacity (think of it as buying your own server in the cloud - dedicated capacity). As a consumer, you have 2 options - you can either get Pro license or you can read reports for free as long as it is hosted in a Premium capacity. 

So if you are buying Premium, you will get Pro for your report creators and just the Premium node for your consumers. You can run any number of users in a Premium node, however like every server, if you over-utilize it, you might end up with slow reports or even timeouts. This is why we recommend hardware sizing the Premium nodes (you have different capacities) based on the number of users - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/calculator/

For data storage, each Pro user gets 10 GB storage space. In Premium, you get 100 TB for the whole server. 

Dear @SqlJason ,

Since i am a beginner, i had the same confusion and saw your post. It cleared me alot and microsoft white papers confuses me.

i have a question or two to add. Lets take the scenario of a company who newly bought premium (without taking any pro user)

Question 1. Report developers need to have pro licesne despite having premium assigned?

Question 2. Report viewers dont need pro license since they only need to view the report? (where they can view the report in on premise-workspace?)

Question 3. If viewers want their reports to be sent through email (subsribing reports to email) they need to have pro user?

Question 4. If report developers having pro user creates a dashboard (puts in premiun workspace if possibe), can the viewers see the dashboard for free or they have to be pro user?

i hope the above questions are clear and waiting for your answers.

Thanks alot

Abbas

This is my take on these questions after working with both Premium and Pro

Question 1. Report developers need to have pro licesne despite having premium assigned?

If you are developing reports you still need Power BI Pro licenses. So If you have 5 developers, each will need a Pro License

Question 2. Report viewers dont need pro license since they only need to view the report? (where they can view the report in on premise-workspace?)

Report Viewers can have a Free power BI License and access reports in the Premium capacity workspace (So long as they have been added to have access in that app workspace)

Question 3. If viewers want their reports to be sent through email (subsribing reports to email) they need to have pro user?

I think again, if the reports are in a Premium capacity workspace, so long as the other subscribers have registered for a free license and they are allowed to view the reports and dashboards this is fine (I still havent tested this myself though)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-report-subscribe

Question 4. If report developers having pro user creates a dashboard (puts in premiun workspace if possibe), can the viewers see the dashboard for free or they have to be pro user?

Yes, the Free pro license users can see the reports and dashboards, so long as they are in a premium capacity workspace

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I am quite confused about this.

I have just read

if the organization consists of 700 total users – 100 are engaging in self-service BI, while the remaining 600 occasionally view BI content – the most economical deployment option would be to license Power BI Pro for the 100 users engaging in self-service BI and to license Power BI Premium for the 600 seeking occasional access to view BI content.
If the organization instead consists of 5,000 total users – 4,000 are engaging in self-service BI, while the remaining 1,000 occasionally view BI content – the best deployment option would be for the organization to license Power BI Pro for the 4,000 users engaging in self-service BI and to license Power BI Premium for the 1,000 seeking occasional access to view BI content.

But If you are spending thousands on Premium, Why are you still having to add on 7.50 a month for every user who wants to create and publish reports. thats massively increasing costs?  We are thinking of going premium but if we still all have to spend £7.50 a month per user for Pro..... This just seems wrong to me? Surely Premium allows you to do everything and you have no need to buy Pro Licences?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors