Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vickyd
Helper V
Helper V

Power BI Premium vs Azure Analysis Services for Enterprise

With Power BI Premium being showcased as the Enterprise version of Power BI and a lot of Enterprise features being introduced or to be introduced soon (see video below) in Power BI Premium, I'm wondering if there is still any reason for going the Azure route i.e. Azure Data Factory, Azure Analysis services etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=LiQCc0A9coA

Are there any valid scenarios that make Azure Analysis Services a better option say 6-12 months down the line when compared to Power BI Premium?  

1 REPLY 1
rossnruthie
Resolver I
Resolver I

I've had this same question myself for a current project we are working on.  We decided to go the Azure Analysis Services route for several reasons.  

The most obvious to management is cost.  PBI Premium is expensive and can be hard to justify depending on what you are doing.  For example using an B2 AAS instance gives you 20GB of memory and is ~$630/mo.  This could support many power bi pro users before it would make sense to switch to premium from a cost perspective.

However, as an architect, the primary reason we went the AAS route is the seperation it provides.  In our situation we will have power users with admin priviliges in the PBI environment.  This means that if we had PBI premium and therefore were storing our data in Premium that the power users could modify or delete the data either intentionally or accidentally.  This would hose us big time and it's not something we are willing to risk.  By putting the data in AAS it allows us to separate the power users from the data and only allow them read access to create reports to their hearts content.  

There are also those who do not care to user power bi and prefer excel connections and so they can directly connect to the AAS instance without having to have any interaction with PBI.

Hope that helps a little in your decision making.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors