Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ketevann
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Premium report share Issues

Good Day everyone,  

I have power bi premium. 
Created Workspace with Premium license.

Added reports .

However  I can not share  my premium workspace or reports  to  my Pro user  co workers. 

It requires to buy Premium for each user whom I share .  

Can someone help me please.  ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You have to use a pro workspace for them to see it.  I have pro workspaces that I share with my pro users for viewing content and I have premium workspaces that I use for development and testing.  Also I can share premium workspaces with other premium users which would only be for reports that require Premium options(most do not).

Basically the workspace determines what level of license is required.  You have to change if the workspace is premium or pro after the workspace is created.  Click on settings when inside the workspace and there is a premium tab.  This is where you can change it to a Pro or Premium workspace.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Ketevann 

With sharing, whether you share content inside or outside your organization, you need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license. Your recipients also need Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) licenses, unless the content is in a Premium capacity.

You can refer to the following methods to share your reports and dashboards:

1. First, you can put the contents of the workspace into premium capacity:

Purchase Power Bl Premium: https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/admin/service-admin-premium-purchase

Assign a workspace to a capacity:    https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/admin/service-admin-premium-manage#assign-a-workspace-to-a-capac...

2. If you want to share it with users outside the organization, you can try this method:

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/admin/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

The guest user must have the proper licensing in place to view the content that you shared.

There are a few ways to make sure the user has a proper license: use Power BI Premium, assign a Power BI Pro license, get a Premium Per User (PPU) license, or use the guest's Power BI Pro license.

3. If you don't want to buy Premium and Pro licenses, you can try publishing to the web.

However,when you use Publish to web, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or visual. This method is not safe.

Publish to Web: Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Ketevann 

Your statements are quite correct. If you have a Premium Per User licence (PPU), you can mark a Workspace as a PPU workspace, but then if you share any content from that PPU workspace to others they will need a PPU licence to view and interact with the content.

Generally, there's not much point in having a single PPU licence in an organisation, as no-one else will be able to view the content created, it's better that, if you need the PPU facilities, you get PPU licences for the users who need to see the content.

Don't confuse a PPU licence with a Premium Capacity licence, PPU does not allow free user access, but Premium Capacity does. However other than that PPU gets most of the Premium Capacity benefits, without the highher cost of a Premium Capacity licence.

see Types of licenses for Power BI business users - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Hope this helps

Stuart

Thank you @Burningsuit , 

Yes, I have Premium per User and my organization users are PRO users. 
based on the answer they will not be able to see or edit reports  until they will not get Premium per user update , am I right?

If yes, is there any chance to switch premium per user into premium capacity licence  ?

You can also create pro workspaces for the pro users and use the premium workspace for Testing/Development.  The premium capacity license is much more expensive then the per use license unless you are talking about a significant number of licenses.

@StilHopen Thank you for your  response. 

So, Can my Pro lisence co workers see Premium Per User workspace repors? 
I am asking this question because I created premium workspace but they can not open shared reports. may be I am doing something wrong . 

can you please advice?   

You have to use a pro workspace for them to see it.  I have pro workspaces that I share with my pro users for viewing content and I have premium workspaces that I use for development and testing.  Also I can share premium workspaces with other premium users which would only be for reports that require Premium options(most do not).

Basically the workspace determines what level of license is required.  You have to change if the workspace is premium or pro after the workspace is created.  Click on settings when inside the workspace and there is a premium tab.  This is where you can change it to a Pro or Premium workspace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors