Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LAT
Regular Visitor

Power BI Premium implementation

Hello,

My organisation have recently implemented Premium capacity P1.  A key driver is the assumption that users will now not need a Pro license to simply consume data from the Power BI web service, and only PBI devs will need one. 

We have divided the P1 capacity (8 v-cores) into 4 capacities (2 v-cores each), in a effort to balance the refreshes in the worksapces and avoid clashes.

However, we have found whilst testing users with a free license that they cannot access the workspaces that have transitioned to the Premium capacity.  We have also noticed that in splitting the P1 capacity into 4, the capacity SKU says EM2.  Im wondering if anyone has experienced this issue before.  Like i say, we have purchased the P1 capacity, so our assumption is that no matter how we decide to divide into different capacities, it shouldnt make a difference and consumers should still be able to conusme via a free license.  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @LAT 

The smallest a P1 capacity can be is 8 v-cores. When you split it into  4 v-cores it changes to an EM SKU, and in this SKU this means that you cannot share it with Free Power BI Licenses.

I would suggest changing your P1 capacity to Gen2 and it will not suffer any of the older historical issues.

More details on Gen2 can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-concepts

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @LAT 

The smallest a P1 capacity can be is 8 v-cores. When you split it into  4 v-cores it changes to an EM SKU, and in this SKU this means that you cannot share it with Free Power BI Licenses.

I would suggest changing your P1 capacity to Gen2 and it will not suffer any of the older historical issues.

More details on Gen2 can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-concepts

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors