Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

D_Lav
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Premium capacity metrics App Share dataset with other workspaces

Hi

I tried to create a report based on dataset from premium capacity metrix app and share to other admins in my org. 

When they try to enter the application that i have published my report to based on this dataset they receive the following message-

"you do not have permission to the underlying dataset". Is there any workarounds for this or do i have to let them install their Capacity metrics app individually and then have them connect to their own metrics app dataset??

If there would be a way to grant them access to this underlying dataset it would be best.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @D_Lav ,

When you install Power BI Premium Metric app, the related report and dataset will show in My workspace so you can save this report as a copy and make some changes in the copy report but you cannot publish it as a new app beacause we have no edit permission about this app.

In addition, the app is updated regularly with new features and functionality. Make sure you're running the latest version. If you have a previous version of the app already installed, it’s best to delete it from your apps and then press CTRL+F5 to refresh.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @D_Lav ,

When publishing report to app, please check whether you have enabled access to users to connect to the app's underlying datasets using the Build permission.

publish app.png

You can also refer the following microsoft documents about publishing apps and premium capacity metrics app: 

1. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-distribute-apps
  2. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-premium-monitor-capacity
  3. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-metrics-app

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply @v-yingjl 

I tried to grant access by doing what you said but my end-users still receive "unable to connect to underlying dataset" error when trying to view my report. 

Is it a bug or is it not possible to create own report based on Premum Metrics app data and then publish as a new app?

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @D_Lav ,

When you install Power BI Premium Metric app, the related report and dataset will show in My workspace so you can save this report as a copy and make some changes in the copy report but you cannot publish it as a new app beacause we have no edit permission about this app.

In addition, the app is updated regularly with new features and functionality. Make sure you're running the latest version. If you have a previous version of the app already installed, it’s best to delete it from your apps and then press CTRL+F5 to refresh.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors