Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

desertislesql
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Premium and R

With Power BI Premium, you get your own dedicated server to run Power BI on it.  Since this is not a shared server, is there a way to install more than the 363 R packages listed here https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-r-packages-support/ so that more R Visuals can be used in Power BI?  Are the limits on R that apply to the shared service still in place? Is this some thing that Microsoft is considering so that the server can truly be more than just the shared service with targeted capacity?

I am looking forward to hearing this response as I have posted this question as part of the resent webinar for Power BI Premium and my question was not one which was selected to be answered by the presenters.

5 REPLIES 5
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @desertislesql,

If we want to create R visuals in Power BI Service, we need to create the R visuals on Power BI desktop, then publish reports to Service. For what I know, we need to download the R packages on our local computers. Maybe I misunderstand your mean, please feel free to ask if it is.

Best Regards,
Angelia

R has over 9000 libraries in the CRAN R repository which can be used in R code.  In order for the packages to be used in the R Service, these libraries must be installed on the server where the R code is running.  According to this website https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-r-packages-support/ there are 363 different R packages supported. If my R code uses the acid package, which you will notice is not included on the list of 363 R packages on R Server, the code will not run on the R Server. 

With Power BI Premium, theoretically the server is dedicated to a single tenant.  If I want to install the acid package on that server so that my R code will run, is there a way to do that?

Hi @desertislesql,

Untill now, we are unable to create a R visual in Power BI service directly. We need to create R visual in desktop and punlish it to service. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,
Angelia

In order to publish an R visual in Power BI, I know that you need to write the R code in desktop, then publish it to the server. When writing R code, you need to use packages.  One common on is ggplot.  I can use this library and publish the visual to the Power BI service because ggplot is one of the 363 packages which is loaded on the server hosting the Power BI Service.  What I am asking is what if I use a package in my R code which is not on the list of 363 packages? Today if I did that I would get an error.  What I want to know, is if I am using a Premium Server, which technically I own, can I load the missing R package?

Hi @desertislesql,

There is no definite information. Pleas keep a close eye on this official blog. It will be updated after the Power BI released formally. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors