Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aaroh_bits791
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Premium and Power BI Pro capability

Hi all, 

The client has 400 Power BI Pro Licenses and just purchased to Power BI Premuim capacity EM1/A1.

• Does client still need 400 Power BI Pro Licenses?
  • What will be usage of Power BI Pro license if client has upgraded to Power BI Premuim capacity?

Please advise.

@ibarrau @GilbertQ  @arvindsingh802 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi. Let me share with you two things.

First, there is an option in premium to scale your data models to TB. You can activate it in premium https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-large-models

Second, it doesn't matter how much data you have in your DB. The key is the data model size. You won't load your whole DB to Power Bi. If you apply a good data modeling star schema technique with best practices like "remove unnecessary columns", the model is compressed and it's size is way smaller than the data really is.
You can have an approximation of the size if you check the size of your pbix file in desktop. That's not exactly the size of the data model but it's pretty close. We can't be sure until you check that size to know if P1 is enough or if you need P2.

Consider that premium is the maximum license. If premium can't cover then nothing will. You can always think about alternatives for really big data like reducing years of data or handling aggregations in a fast build warehouse.

I hope the answer make sense.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. The answer is "it depends". You have bought a license for embeding purpose. "EM SKUs are used for embedding content." This means that you can build a custom app to share Power Bi to free users. Embedding Power Bi can handle its own custom login or use the Azure AD one. That way you can get rid of pro license for users that should only view data.

On the other hand you still need people working on the reports that will be embedded. Those users that need to build or modify thing in Power Bi Service still need the PRO license.

NOTE: if you want free users to view reports inside Power Bi Service without building a custom app to embed it, then you have bought the wrong license. The licenses to do that are P Premium SKU.

You can read more about them here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-what-is#subscriptions-and-licensing

I hope this make sense.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Awesome @ibarrau  ...

Thanks a lot for your replies ...

Question: Anyway we can find if Power BI Premuim P1-P5 SKUs fits clients SQL Server requirements considering they have 10 TB database as What is Microsoft Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs does not share the dataset size? 

Does SQL Server 2019 10 TB data fits to P1 Subscription? Please advice.   

Does SQL Server 2019 10 TB data  fits to P1 Subscrition  

Hi. Let me share with you two things.

First, there is an option in premium to scale your data models to TB. You can activate it in premium https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-large-models

Second, it doesn't matter how much data you have in your DB. The key is the data model size. You won't load your whole DB to Power Bi. If you apply a good data modeling star schema technique with best practices like "remove unnecessary columns", the model is compressed and it's size is way smaller than the data really is.
You can have an approximation of the size if you check the size of your pbix file in desktop. That's not exactly the size of the data model but it's pretty close. We can't be sure until you check that size to know if P1 is enough or if you need P2.

Consider that premium is the maximum license. If premium can't cover then nothing will. You can always think about alternatives for really big data like reducing years of data or handling aggregations in a fast build warehouse.

I hope the answer make sense.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thank a bunch for your for amazing insights @ibarrau..

Thank you!  😊😊

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors