Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nsexton12
Resolver II
Resolver II

Power BI Premium Permissions

Hello,

I am new to Power BI premium per user and need help with permissioning in a Premium workspace and Power BI App. I created a Premium workspace and added all users that I want to see the app as viewers. However, when they try to access the App, they are being prompted to sign up for a free trial of Pro. We have tried cancelling the Pro license after signing up, but then they cannot view. Isn't it the entire purpose of creating a Premium workspace and Power BI App to to be able to share it with user who only have a free license? Am I doing something wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @nsexton12 

Having a PPU (Premium Per User) license doesn't mean that the Workspace is in a Premium Capacity mode. Therefore the users will need to have At least Pro licenses to access the workspace or you upgrade your workspace to Premium Capacity in order for free users to be able to access the WS.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @nsexton12 

Having a PPU (Premium Per User) license doesn't mean that the Workspace is in a Premium Capacity mode. Therefore the users will need to have At least Pro licenses to access the workspace or you upgrade your workspace to Premium Capacity in order for free users to be able to access the WS.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Thank you! Is this the option that costs $5k per month?

Hi, @nsexton12 

The following table describes who can see which kinds of content with PPU.
Pro or free user have no access to the content in a Premium Per User (PPU) workspace or app. 

Users must have a Premium Per User (PPU) license to access content in a Premium Per User (PPU) workspace or app. 

5.png

If you need anyone, whether they're inside or outside your organization can view your Power BI content including paginated and interactive reports without purchasing individual licenses, please purchase P Premium SKUs. P SKUs allow free Power BI users to consumer Power BI apps and shared content, in the Power BI service. 

For more information, please refer to these official documents.

Power BI Premium Per User 
Unlimited content sharing 

Distribute Power BI content to external guest users using Azure Active Directory B2B 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors