Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Premium Per User is a dedicated capacity?

Hi all,

I´m having some issues at the moment I refresh my datasets on power BI service, it just take a long time, if I use premium per user  is it a dedicated capacity, I mean, the refresh would take less time. 

Thanks for your help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

PPU is not a dedicated capacity, you share capacity much like Pro users do. To quote from the docs.."Unlike Premium capacity settings, PPU licenses do not require memory management or CPU management, similar to how Pro licenses do not require such management.".  See Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

PPU runs in a more powerful environment, allowing larger datasets, more refreshes etc. but I'm not sure that it would give a significant boost to refresh times.

However there are lots of reasons for slow refreshing. It may be a slow data server, gateway, or inefficiencies in your data. Power BI loves "narrow" tables, lots of rows with few columns in multiple tables, rather than lots of columns in one big table, for example. Use Power Query to remove any columns you don't need in the Report, equally filter out any rows you're not interested in.  You'll find there are lots of things that can affect refresh speed, you don't necessarily need PPU until you've exhausted all the tuning alternatives.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

PPU is not a dedicated capacity, you share capacity much like Pro users do. To quote from the docs.."Unlike Premium capacity settings, PPU licenses do not require memory management or CPU management, similar to how Pro licenses do not require such management.".  See Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

PPU runs in a more powerful environment, allowing larger datasets, more refreshes etc. but I'm not sure that it would give a significant boost to refresh times.

However there are lots of reasons for slow refreshing. It may be a slow data server, gateway, or inefficiencies in your data. Power BI loves "narrow" tables, lots of rows with few columns in multiple tables, rather than lots of columns in one big table, for example. Use Power Query to remove any columns you don't need in the Report, equally filter out any rows you're not interested in.  You'll find there are lots of things that can affect refresh speed, you don't necessarily need PPU until you've exhausted all the tuning alternatives.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Anonymous
Not applicable

Really appreciate your help, Tks @Burningsuit 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors