Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

thebigwhite
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Premium License

Good morning, I have noticed that with the power BI premium license you cannot access directly  to the workspaces reports but you need to access to them through a published APP. Can you confirm? 

I cannot understand this limitation, can you help me to understand why app is the only way for Power BI premium user. Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I can't understand if you are talking about Premium Capacity or Premium per User.

If you are talking about Capacity then there are no limitations. It's the maximum license allowing everything at PowerBi. A user with license can be member of a workspace, but free users can only be added on the App to view reports (that is not bad because they are free and can see shared content)

If you are talking about Premium per User, it works like PRO license. You can create, build and share content only for other Premium per Users.

I hope that make sense.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
DHaagenson
Regular Visitor

We are using the Power BI Report Server. We have written many reports and have other users accessing them, so we do not want to change this. We would like to update our Power BI, Pro at the desktop level to Power BI, Premium, per user to get the added development features. Can we do this? We do not want our users to have to change their licensing to premium, only the developers.

Livio_Panuello
Regular Visitor

Scusate, se ho una PPU gli utenti Pro sono membri di un area di lavoro?

Grazie tante.

Livio

thebigwhite
Helper II
Helper II

Thank for the answer. Just for a better understanding. Same scenario (Premium Capacity and Free User). Can a Free user access to the report with a direct link (no app published).

thanks

I don't think it will be able to access a report via link unless it's a link to the report inside the App. You might be able to share one single report, sharing the report. Then they can get it "Share with me". I assume that's why it the doc says free users can use the section "Share with me".

Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

thebigwhite
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks for the answer. I am sorry, yes I was referring to premium capacity. So according to your user free user cannot access directly to the workspace but only to the apps.

Correct?

Yes. I do remember some doc saying Free users can only check reports under Apps or Shared with me. Usually apps is the best choice because it let you share multiple content in a single place.

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I can't understand if you are talking about Premium Capacity or Premium per User.

If you are talking about Capacity then there are no limitations. It's the maximum license allowing everything at PowerBi. A user with license can be member of a workspace, but free users can only be added on the App to view reports (that is not bad because they are free and can see shared content)

If you are talking about Premium per User, it works like PRO license. You can create, build and share content only for other Premium per Users.

I hope that make sense.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors