Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Premium: Export .pbix files

Hi,

We have Power BI Premium, and we have a dynamic data set. I want to set up a Power Automate to export a report .pbix file.

The Microsoft documentation on API steps, does not work as I get an error, seems to be related to having Power BI Premium ...

Anyone know how to get around this? Microosft doc: Reports - Export Report (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Error message I get with this api: 

{
"error": {
"code": "ServerError_PremiumFilesErrors_OperationIsNotSupportedForPremiumFilesModel",
"pbi.error": {
"code": "ServerError_PremiumFilesErrors_OperationIsNotSupportedForPremiumFilesModel",
"parameters": {},
"details": []
}
}
}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

If I look at the error message (Premium files), I think the problem you have is the following:

You have enable the option in the workspace called Large dataset storage format (link to documentation).

nickyvv_0-1612193168619.png

A limitation of this option is, that you can NOT download the .pbix-files anymore, as listed here (same page as the previous mentioned documentation).

Solution:

You can switch back to the small dataset format (via the settings in the workspace), and download the pbix if you need to.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

If I look at the error message (Premium files), I think the problem you have is the following:

You have enable the option in the workspace called Large dataset storage format (link to documentation).

nickyvv_0-1612193168619.png

A limitation of this option is, that you can NOT download the .pbix-files anymore, as listed here (same page as the previous mentioned documentation).

Solution:

You can switch back to the small dataset format (via the settings in the workspace), and download the pbix if you need to.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thak you very much this now works. Hurray! 😀

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Thank you for the link. That explains it - you meant dynamic data sources.  

What I see frequently is that you create a fake static data source definition, and then blend in your dynamic part with the Query parameter.  Unfortunately that doesn't work for truly dynamic URL schemes (where you swap out part of the front of the URL, like in multi tenant environments), only for scenarios where the base URL is constant.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I still don't understand what a dynamic dataset is.

Use the API sandbox to test your calls, it will give you good guidance on the call format, and maybe point to a parameter issue etc.  Use the "Try it"  button.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used the Try button.

A dynamic data source is explained in:  This dataset includes a dynamic data source. Since dynamic data sources aren't refreshed in the Power BI service, this dataset won't be refreshed. Learn more: https://aka.ms/dynamic-data-sources.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

1. Why are you trying to do that? What are you planning to do with the .pbix? Are you aware of the XMLA endpoint concept?

2. What does this mean ? "we have a dynamic data set"

3. you need to use the premium API call, not the standard one. Reports - Export Report In Group (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Answers:

1. & 2.  we use a dynamic data set in our Power BI report. As per Microosft we can't refresh dynamic datasets. SO we will carry out what Microsoft has told us to do: export pbix file with Power Automate, refresh and load agian in Power Bi Service.

3. We has already tried that and get teh following "500" error:

Response Code: 500

Headers

HTTP

Copy

cache-control: no-store, must-revalidate, no-cache

content-type: application/json; charset=utf-8

pragma: no-cache

requestid: 07e48868-4306-4583-ae19-0ab7347a847b

Body

JSON

Copy

{

"error": {

"pbi.error": {

"parameters": {},

"details": []

}

}

}

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors