Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mgraff
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Premium Embed SharePoint Online

I've been searching for documentation or an example of this but haven't had any luck.  At the Data Insights Summit this year, an example was shown of Power BI Premium Embed in SharePoint Online.  

I'm needing to do exactly what was shown, embedding a Power BI report for external non-Power BI users accessing a SharePoint Online Modern Team Site.   I can't seem to find an example of this.  Presumably it is much simpler than embedding in an application, but maybe not?

As an external user viewing the page, I get "To view this content, you'll need to sign up for Power BI" which clearly means I'm doing this wrong.  Is anyone aware of documentation for this scenario?

I have my premium capacity set up and assigned to the app workspace. I've double checked permissions in the Azure app.   I've taken the embed URL from the report (File > Embed in Sharepoint Online (preview)) but it seems like this is only applicable to sharing internally or with other Power BI users. 

I've reviewed this documentation, but I don't think it is applicable to SharePoint Online. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/power-bi-embedded/power-bi-embedded-get-started

This documentation doesn't appear to apply to sharing content with external non-Power BI users:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-embed-report-spo/

8 REPLIES 8
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mgraff,

It's said embed with Sharepoint Online is a Pro feature in the documentation of the second link of your post. I'm afraid this doesn't suit your scenario.

>>>

Note:

Embed in SharePoint Online is only available with Power BI Pro. Each user that views the report must have a Power BI Pro license. If they do not have a Pro license, they will be prompted to sign-up to view the report.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I understand and agree the documentation is lacking.  However, please see this from the Data Insights keynote:

https://youtu.be/zaVGt-IbuhU?list=PL1N57mwBHtN0qxCHKMzN-q2K3r6dBbXU8&t=2247

SharePoint + Power BI Premium Embedded example.   I need exactly what the video describes. 

Hi @mgraff,

I have searched a lot of documentations and I didn't find out a precise answer. I would suggest you create a support ticket here for more help: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/.

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, I've submitted a ticket. I'll send a response and let everyone know what the resolution was. 

Okay found the solution. It does work but with a little bit more involved than expected. Public web embedding is inappropriate because I want users to be authenticated to view these reports. I needed external accounts including public addresses (i.e gmail addresses) to have access to the Power BI reports like with SharePoint Online itself (which is where I'm embedding in this case).

The trick was to set up the external accounts in Azure AD and give them access to the Power BI Free license. I know the documentation for SharePoint Online Power BI Embed states users must have the Power Bi pro license, but this is not required when using Premium Embedded. They do still need the Power BI free license assigned to them though.

The users also had to be members of the workspace with Premium capacity assigned to it, even though the users couldn't access the workspace through the Power BI service. So that part wasn't very intuitive sans documentation. I'd get errors trying to add the users directly to the workspace, so I added them to the office 365 group for the workspace. Here is the full list of steps.

1. Create Premium Capacity and assign it to a workspace in Power BI.
2. Upload report to workspace.
3. Get “Embed in SharePoint Online (Preview)” link from Power BI report.
4. Embed in SharePoint Online Modern Team Site using new Power BI (Preview) web part.
5. Create external accounts in Azure AD (tested with a 3rd party company account and with a public Gmail account).
6. Grant external users Power BI (free) license in Azure AD or Office 365 Admin.
7. Grant external account access to SharePoint Site (read only is fine).
8. Add external user to the premium assigned workspace in Power BI (mine failed with error that the user couldn’t be validated)
9. If 8 fails, add them to the corresponding Office 365 Group for the same workspace.

Now both accounts can view the embedded Power BI in the SharePoint Online site without a Power BI Pro license. Inadvertently this is also a workaround for needing to be able to share Power BI content with authenticated public accounts (gmail, yahoo, etc), although a minimum of the Premium Embed (EM1) capacity is required.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue, but with internal users who don't have Pro licenses. I'm hesitant to add them to my O365 group as that would mean they could potentially have more access than they should.

Would be good if Power BI could make viewing SharePoint embeded reports available for non-Pro users, according to the permissions set-up on the Dataset / Dashboard that's shared with the user.

Hi @Markcgraff,

Thank you very much for sharing!

Best Regards!

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you looked into PowerBI Embedded?  Normally this would be a subscription service but its my understanding that if you have premium you can use it all the same.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors