Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cbilsoe
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Premium - Data Flow not showing lineage

I'm hoping someone can help me out on what's going on. We are setting up staging Data Flows that loads source data, and tranformational Data Flows ("Test flow") and links to these source Data Flows. Everything works, except in the linage view where they just won't link. 

I've used "PowerBI.Dataflows([])" as the source type.

If anyone knows the answer to this I'd be very grateful 

Screenshot - Data Flow linage problem.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cbilsoe
Frequent Visitor

So we solved it ourselfs: 

The reason the dataflow (test) is not showing any data linage, is because the linked query was set to NOT "Enable load". When enableling this the data linage showed up just as expected, but it does create an issue if for example you need to change the column headers before appending another query, but this can be solved by creating a query inbetween, being only a step between that is not loaded into final output... 

Anyway original issue solved

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
cbilsoe
Frequent Visitor

So we solved it ourselfs: 

The reason the dataflow (test) is not showing any data linage, is because the linked query was set to NOT "Enable load". When enableling this the data linage showed up just as expected, but it does create an issue if for example you need to change the column headers before appending another query, but this can be solved by creating a query inbetween, being only a step between that is not loaded into final output... 

Anyway original issue solved

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cbilsoe ,

Based on my test, the lineage view doesn't contains the dataflow(entities). You should switch to dataflow tab in your app workspace and click diagram view(preview) button as below:

121121.PNG

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi polly.

Thanks for your answer, but I'm not sure I agree. I was sure I have seen it somewhere and manged to find exactly what I remembered: Introducing Power BI lineage view | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI 

Particularly this photo: Screenshot .png

Here I clearly see the linage view where one dataflow depends on two upstream dataflows. It this just not developed yet or was only part of the preview?

Furthermore I cannot find the view what you refering to - it sort of looks like the old setup of the service

Hi @cbilsoe ,

Is the following picture what you excepted?Capture.PNG

Please ensure the the Group is used by Test flow.

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Well the other way around, but yes exactly that. The "Test" flow is already drawing on the "Group" flowScreenshot 2.png

Hi @cbilsoe ,

A property of dataflows is the lack of relationship creation between tables. Different tables which share values should be autodetected to be related to each other, but when these tables come from dataflows Power BI can’t detect these relationships. This isn’t a big problem because users can manually create relationships by simply dragging a line between two tables.

Please refer to the following document for further information.

https://www.clearpeaks.com/power-bi-dataflows/

Best Regards

Hi polly. 

That article refers to the difference between dataflow and datasets - that's not what I'm after. You cannot at any point "drag a line between two tables" in data flow...

I simply want to know why a data flow that is based on (like to) another does not show data linage...  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors