Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wshalex123
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Premium Capacity

Hi,

iam office 365 admin and got the Power BI Premium per user licence.

wshalex123_0-1667204015516.png

Today, the 30day trial of the previous test version ended. Somehow, no employee can see the published reports anymore (It says they need to purchase pro). As iam informed, you don't need pro oder premium to see a report? 

When searching the internet, it days i need to add premium capacity to the workspaces in the capacity settings. 

But i can't access it, even though i got premium! 

wshalex123_1-1667204271468.png

Can someone help please? It's pretty urgent cause nobody can work with PBI in the ocmpany right now.

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @wshalex123 

Don't shoot the messenger! Those are your licenceing options.

Generally you'll find with less than 500 users it's cheaper to buy them each a Pro licence, over 500 a Premium Capacity licence become more cost-effective.

Users need a Licence to access content, that can be a Free licence only if that contant is on a Premium Capacity Workspace.

The only other sharing option is to use "Publish to web", and put your reports on Microsoft's publically facing server. Users can then access that without any licences. The problem is that option will let *anyone* see your report, so it shouldn't be used for sensitive or proprietory information. Because of this the local Power BI admin needs to turn that option on.

see Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @wshalex123 

You need to understand there are two products, Premium Per User (PPU) and Premium Capacity. They are different licences with different attributes.

If you have a PPU licence, you can mark Workspaces as PPU and share content with others who have a PPU licence. However PPU licence does NOT provide access to Free licence users.

If you have a Premium Capacity licence you can mark Workspaces as Premium Capacity and content CAN be shared with Free licence users.

Burningsuit_0-1657122369531.png

It looks like you shared content with your Users with either a Pro or PPU licence. To access that content, the Users were offered a free Pro licence trial for 60 days. When that Pro licence trial ran out they can no longer access the content shared with them.

Your options are to either 

A) Buy Pro licences for your users, this will enable them to see content that has been shared from a Pro workspace (or "My Workspace")

B) Buy PPU licences for your users, this will only be necessary if you have created a PPU workspace and shared content with your users from there.

C) Buy a Premium Capacity licence, this will enable you to create a Premium Capacity Workspace and share content with your users from there. You Users then need a Free Prower BI licence to access content share with them from the Premium Capacity Workspace.

See : Types of licenses for Power BI business users - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hey @Burningsuit,

do you mean i have to pay 4,995$ per month so my employees can access my reports with power bi free? 

I got 60 employees and 80% of them don't even interact with the reports, they just have to view them or click on links so a premium or pro licence is unnecessary....

wshalex123_0-1667213179547.png

Hi @wshalex123 

Don't shoot the messenger! Those are your licenceing options.

Generally you'll find with less than 500 users it's cheaper to buy them each a Pro licence, over 500 a Premium Capacity licence become more cost-effective.

Users need a Licence to access content, that can be a Free licence only if that contant is on a Premium Capacity Workspace.

The only other sharing option is to use "Publish to web", and put your reports on Microsoft's publically facing server. Users can then access that without any licences. The problem is that option will let *anyone* see your report, so it shouldn't be used for sensitive or proprietory information. Because of this the local Power BI admin needs to turn that option on.

see Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hey @Burningsuit,

thanks for you help! I now understand the different licences and possibilities.

Concerning the "Publish to web" option:

RLS is not possible with this isn't it? Because in my report every employee sees his very own business data (leavebalance, gliding time balance, etc.)

In this example, where RLS is runnning based on the E-Mail adress of all employees to see their data, theres no other way but buying pro for everyone or am i wrong? 

Hi @wshalex123 

You're correct. RLS is not supported in Publish to Web. If you've implemented RLS on a Dataset you won't be able to Publish to web any Reports built from that Dataset.

The only option in this case is getting a Licence for each user.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors