Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Premium - All workspaces on capacity

Hello,

We've just got the Premium license in my company with a P1 capacity.

But I don't get what it really implies regarding the management of te workspaces.

Is it a "good" thing to set all our workspaces under the Premium capacity or is there any limitation to avoid that ?

Thank you.

Arthur

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer for this reply. I wanted to know if you can guide me to some documentation where such factors (which determine which workspace to be allocated to capacity or not) are discussed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What should be the criteria for allocating the capacity to a workspace. Also is there an objective metric present to find out which workspace scores well on the concerned criteria?

@Anonymous There are a number of factors that could adjust that criteria. If an org purchases P1 and will never hit the capacity limits, then that would be a use case for allowing everything to go.

However, if you need to maximize the usage of that capacity, I would suggest that only group workspaces where shared reports would reside should belong to the capacity, while personal workspaces would remain seperate.

Much of this would depend on what you organization is doing with Premium and how you need to manage the purchased capacity.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Anonymous I really don't understand why it would be available to add everything to capacity in the first place. Capacity allows you to share content with Free users that don't have a Pro license, which should be done from app workspaces. If you don't have a Pro license, you can't create an app workspace, or share from anything in capacity... So, outside giving a bump up in GB, and being on dedicated hardware, I don't see the intrinsic value of giving everyone unlimited play space that consumes resources...

You as the admin of the Premium tenant can carve out or use the capacity (vCores) how you see fit. This can grant dedicated resources to different teams which allow them visibility into their capacity and not others, as well as a platform to share to free users.

Personally, from what I understand, I would selectively choose what gets put into capacity to maximize the usage.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors